testing my sugar
tinamarie67 posted:
am having a hard time losing weight with having diabetes type 2.
since i have been diagnosed 4 years ago i lost over 4o pounds i have been at a stand still for months. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week my blood sugar drops so much that i can not finish my workouts. my impossible insurance company only allows me one test strip per day that is impossible i do not like the fact that i have no idea what my blood sugar is i have passed out on several times this can not be healthy for me. i have not yet been able to find a good endo in suffolk county my current dr has atleast a 2 month wait for an appointment. please help!

Phototaker123 responded:
Tina, talk to your doctor or ask if there are any agencies that would provide you with more test strips. Talk to your health provider and explain the situation. It will cost them a lot more if you have to go into the hospital! Do not wait! Try to eat something "before" you workout, so you don't go so low. When I workout heavily for an hour, my blood sugar numbers go up, and then down later. Everyone is different. You're smart to want to check your numbers! Keep a juice carton or something sweet with you, in case you go low!

auriga1 responded:
Tina, check out WalMart and Target for the prices of their test strips. The prices vary for name-brand and generic. Generic can be as low as 35 cents per strip. You will have to change your meter to match the strip, though. I believe a box of 50 ReliOn strips are $19.98. WalMart sells ReliOn. There is also the ReliOn meter. Amazon.com also sells ReliOn. You don't need a script for the ReliOn strips if you do not go through your insurance. If you go through your insurance, you will need a script.

Do you know what is causing you to go low? Do you use insulin? One of the drawbacks of insulin is hypoglycemia, especially when working out or doing any sort of physical activity. There are other oral diabetic medications which can cause hypoglycemia.

I know exactly where you are coming from regarding exercise and lows. Maybe save that one test strip before working out. If you are within normal range, then you would have to bring your sugar up before working out. Have juice or glucose pills with you at all times at the gym. It will bring your sugar up fast. As soon as you start to feel "funny", ingest the juice, 4 oz.

I use two insulins and go low from physical activity. I like the orange juice because it works immediately and, personally, tastes better to me than glucose pills. To each their own.

If you explain to your doctor's office what is happening, can they get you in sooner. You are right when you say that going low is not healthy. My doctor lowered my dosage of my basal insulin so I wouldn't go low so often. You may need a change in medication protocol (if you are taking meds) so this doesn't happen all the time.