Skip to content
need some help with problems with diabetic diet
Fabiolanevis posted:
I need some help and information as I am having problems maintaining a diabetic diet. I live in India and weigh around 147 pounds and my height is 5 feet 3 inches or 160 cms. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 13 years ago when I weighed 154 pounds. I then lost weight until I was 104 pounds. At this weight I did not have any high blood sugar levels for around 8 years. When I gained weight and was around 135 pounds. I developed diabetes again.

Currently, I have a problem maintaining a diabetic diet because I cannot eat anything with carbohydrates. This includes rice, all wheat based products, oats, cornflakes etc. So I eat only food that is rich in plant and animal protein and fruits such as apples. Even though chickpeas and green peas all have carbohydrates it does not cause my blood sugar to spike.

With this protein rich diet I was finally able to achieve an HbA1c of 6.2 which never used to fall under 8 when I used to eat bread, rice, etc (in small quantities).

Even eating a slice of bread with twenty units of insulin and Gemer 1 mg causes my blood sugar to shoot up to above 200 mg/dL in postprandial testing. This is after going for a very fast walk for 30 minutes.

Now with a protein diet I take around 10 units of insulin in the morning with Gemer 1 mg (metformin hydrochloride (ER) 500 mg, glimepiride 1 mg) and 5 units in the night with Gemer 1 mg. My blood sugar is normal with this amount of medication and I walk around 30 minutes per day.

Has anyone faced the same problem with eating a diabetic diet? If anyone has please let me know what you'll did. The doctor that I visit has just told me to continue the protein rich diet nothing else.

auriga1 responded:
You don't say what type of insulin you use. It sounds like from your post that maybe it might be a long-acting insulin? I say that because you mentioned that your BS rose after eating bread and did not down within normal range after two hours.

It sounds like your body cannot handle carbs, especially refined carbs. I cannot eat any type of carbs without my blood sugar rising. The refined carbs are the worst; those in bread, rice, pasta, etc.

You should think about adding lots more veggies to your protein. That helps regulate blood sugar. Eliminate breads, unless it is loaded with fiber. Fiber slows down the absorption of glucose in your system.

I use two insulins. One is long-acting and the other is rapid-acting. Long-acting insulin (24 hours) should keep your BS within normal range throughout the day (at the correct dosage) if you do not eat carbs. That's hard to do since we need carbs for fuel. Long-acting insulin does not bring your blood sugar down when you eat carbs. Another insulin may be needed. Only your doctor would know.

Rapid-acting insulin is used with meals if you eat carbs. Your doctor gives you a dosage to counter-act the rise in blood sugar when you eat carbs.

Diabetic diet is reducing the amount of carbs one eats, eating 2-3 ounces of lean protein and lots of vegetables that are low on the glycemic index scale. You can add fats if they are mono-saturated such as olive oil.

Many of us cannot eat carbs without our blood sugar rising. Such is the disease of diabetes. It's a disease of carbohydrate metabolism.

I need two insulins, restricted carb diet and physical activity to keep my diabetes under control. My last A1C was 5.6, way down from my first one.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.