Skip to content
Testing Problems
grvygmaII posted:
I have had type 2 diabetes for 16 years, it has recently jumped to 230 to 325 and I can't seem to get it down. I lost my job, and I have a problem with my lower tract from an obstruction I had a couple of years back, so it keeps me from getting out to exercise very much. I am getting very depressed about this, and the job market. I am too young to retire, and I have no insurance to go see the doctor.
I haven't changed my eating habits at all, and I seem to be physically ok.

Take the Poll

Any ideas to get my sugars under control?
  • Habits?
  • Sugar Levels
vote
View Poll Results

jasononsweets responded:
Can you get Medicaid for insurance? Obviously stress has driven your count up. I thought Obamacare took care of these things....

auriga1 responded:
Many counties have social services that can help you out. Are ou near a Salvation Army? Most Salvation Armies have a social worker to assist you in finding help with many things including medical. I needed help at one time and she referred me to my county clinic near where I live along with pharmacy cards that reduce the price of many medications to half or more. There are ways.

I don't know what kind of area you live in. We have a township clinic in the area I work in. There is also a county clinic for walk-ins and/or appointments. Your real estate taxes partly fund these places. Check out your county and/or township where you live to see if you can get in to see a doctor.

brinerlady responded:
I think you answered yourself; "I haven't changed my eating habits at all." Well, change your eating habits and you'll change your numbers. As I have told others, eat by counting carbs, carbohydrates. Buy your food by looking at the labels for the carbohydrate content, not the sugar contents. Allow yourself 45 - 60 carbohydrates per meal. Are you taking any meds for diabetes? There are places to see doctors, or physician's assistants, like Walgreen's. They have a walk-in clinic and it is cheap, compared to a doctor's office. You had better do something now or you will have mucho doctor bills and there will be no choice because you will be wheeled into the hospital on a gurney from the ambulance. No one likes to exercise but we all find excuses to not do that. If you can spare 30 minutes a day, could be 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. Just as long as there are no excuses that make you feel better about not exercising. DO IT!! Do it for yourself or your family. BUT DO IT!!

auntienae responded:
I had the same thing happen. Lost my job of 10 years. Over the next few months my sugars went up, up, up. Finally had to start insulin. They started to normalize. I have now been out of work 2 years but recently was awarded disability. Guess what? My sugars began to drop. I have now decreased my insulin significantly and may be off it soon enough. Stress is such a huge factor in this disease. Much more than everyone seems to admit to.

auntienae replied to jasononsweets's response:
Obamacare takes care of nothing. I had medicaid and as soon as my Social Security benefits were approved the medicaid stopped because I was making too much on SS. I make less than poverty level income. SS won't put me on medicare until I've received benefits for 2 years so here I am without medical insurance again.

auriga1 replied to auntienae's response:
Been there. Still am. I am a resident of Illinois and "Kids First" program kicked in. I had a child under 18 and that was the only way we qualified for Medicaid. Didn't have diabetes at the time.

We lost our health insurance due to job loss, too. I also have Medicare due to SSDI. The federal government pays for Part A and Part B is taken out of your monthly SSDI check. The only thing is that medications are not included in this. That's Part D, which is another monthly installment. When you figure out the money taken from SSDI to pay for Medicare, there is nothing left to live on.

It's fairly easy to find medical care around here without paying through the nose. There are clinics throughout the county and townships. I use two insulins to keep my BS under control. It's the medications that cost a bundle and people can't afford to pay out of pocket for that, the strips, the needles, etc.

We finally have insurance, but pre-existing conditions are not covered for a year. So, I have no insurance to help with the diabetes, either until insurance kicks in March of next year.

If you are still using insulin, WalMart has over-the-counter insulin, both intermediate and fast-acting. I had to switch from the Lantus to ReliOn from WalMart. I take it day by day, because my activity levels are not the same each day. The ReliOn is more "combustible" than the Lantus in that it's a bit stronger. No even keels for me. I struggle with lows nearly every day. Admittedly, it's better than nothing.

See if you want to check out the insulin at WalMart. It's over-the-counter and costs $24.00 a vial. The syringes with needles are $1.89 for a pack consisting of ten needles. It eases my mind that I can keep my BS in check even though I lost my insurance.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.