Skip to content
Flexpens jamming
Dickerson888 posted:
I use the Novolog Flex pens and I am having trouble with the plunger getting difficult to push or stopping and jamming completely.

I have had two stop completely and about half get difficult to push.

I emailed the company and I got a form letter requesting I take them back to the pharmacy.

Is anyone else having this issue?

davedsel responded:
I used Flexpens for Victoza for several months and never had this problem.

I think taking the pens back to the pharmacy would be your best course of action.

auriga1 responded:
Dickerson, I use two insulins, both the pens. I've not had any problems with them now for the past seven years.

I would definitely take them back to the pharmacy. I hope you saved the ones that have jammed. Just explain exactly what is going on. You need your insulin at the correct dosage.

At diagnosis, no one taught me how to use the meter. Upon discharge from the hospital, I went to the pharmacy to pick up my new meter. Not a clue how to use it. Read the instructions, blah, blah, blah. I think I was just overwhelmed that I had to test eight times a day and use two different insulins. Just hit me like a brick wall. No one I knew had diabetes and had to test constantly. I think the pharmacist saw my face before I even asked. He was kind enough to sit with me in the store and explain and do a little show-and-tell. I really don't know how many would do that, but I would think more of them are willing to help no matter what is going on.

Take the pens in and see if they will help. It never hurts to ask.

rohvannyn responded:
I had a pharmacist friend tell me that sometimes jams like that are caused by a faulty pen needle. Try a new one and see if it still does the same thing. Many times this fixes it, at least according to my friend.

Dickerson888 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I can try that but I can't see how a pen needle will work for the first five times and then suddenly malfunction.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.