Skip to content
Flexpens jamming
Dickerson888 posted:
I use the Novolog Flex pens and I am having trouble with the plunger getting difficult to push or stopping and jamming completely.

I have had two stop completely and about half get difficult to push.

I emailed the company and I got a form letter requesting I take them back to the pharmacy.

Is anyone else having this issue?

davedsel responded:
I used Flexpens for Victoza for several months and never had this problem.

I think taking the pens back to the pharmacy would be your best course of action.

auriga1 responded:
Dickerson, I use two insulins, both the pens. I've not had any problems with them now for the past seven years.

I would definitely take them back to the pharmacy. I hope you saved the ones that have jammed. Just explain exactly what is going on. You need your insulin at the correct dosage.

At diagnosis, no one taught me how to use the meter. Upon discharge from the hospital, I went to the pharmacy to pick up my new meter. Not a clue how to use it. Read the instructions, blah, blah, blah. I think I was just overwhelmed that I had to test eight times a day and use two different insulins. Just hit me like a brick wall. No one I knew had diabetes and had to test constantly. I think the pharmacist saw my face before I even asked. He was kind enough to sit with me in the store and explain and do a little show-and-tell. I really don't know how many would do that, but I would think more of them are willing to help no matter what is going on.

Take the pens in and see if they will help. It never hurts to ask.

rohvannyn responded:
I had a pharmacist friend tell me that sometimes jams like that are caused by a faulty pen needle. Try a new one and see if it still does the same thing. Many times this fixes it, at least according to my friend.

Dickerson888 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I can try that but I can't see how a pen needle will work for the first five times and then suddenly malfunction.

arivieccio responded:
I am experiencing the identical issue, I've had to waste 1/2 a dozen pens. What needle are you using? I'm going to try switching to a different needle type to see if that helps..

davedsel2 replied to arivieccio's response:
To those having problems with the pens:

I am not on Levemir pens. It is important to use a new needle every time and do what they call the 'air test'. With the cap off the needle, put the dial on '2' and press the plunger (now it is a button). A small amount of insulin should be visible at the end of the needled. Then set the dial to your prescribed units and administer the insulin (or other injected drug) with the pain.

I would definitely, as stated several times in this thread, take the pens back to the store. I did have a problem with some Victoza pens after my first post here, and the pharmacy gave me a whole new box without problem.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel2 replied to davedsel2's response:
Sorry, that should read I am now on Levemir...
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 replied to arivieccio's response:
Take the pens back to the pharmacy. Show the pharmacist or the tech exactly what is happening. You shouldn't have to waste your insulin. Gets quite expensive.

Recently, I had one pen that was a little difficult in pushing the button down. It didn't jam, so I continued using it.

It does not matter what needle one uses. The needle only goes through the rubber stopper at the top and is not involved in the mechanism dosaging the insulin at the bottom. There is the spring within to help with the "push." I've used three different needles with no problem at all. I have two different insulins from two different manufacturers. Both pens are slightly different, very slightly. Dial up the dosage and push the button at the bottom of the pen.

Take any malfunctioning pens back or if you mail-order, call the company.

pencilpusher1 responded:
Same issue, about 2/3 of the pen used, complete jam. New needle doesn't fix it.

Frustrating (and potentially dangerous), but take pens back to the pharmacy. NEVER leave yourself with only one pen!!!

amura responded:
My pen just jammed. I've been a Victoza user since April 2015.I am at the highest dose. I started that yesterday. I went to use my pen and it's jammed up. I cannot move - turn the number counter. Pen has only been used once. Thank goodness my doc gave me a 3 month supply. Because I'm unable to get to the pharmacy until next week and return the pen. Wahhh =( I hope this is not a thing that happens often. As it could be very bad for some people to not be able to use the pen.

rohvannyn replied to amura's response:
Did you try replacing the needle tip, Amura? Sometimes there is a small flaw in the pen tips that can cause this. That's what my pharmacist always suggests to try first.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 175 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.