Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to all of this...Help?!?!?!
crystalevon73 posted:
Hi...I was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes & High Cholesterol. I will be 40yrs old in 2 months & now all of a sudden all this!! Diabetes does run in my family thru grandparents & so does high cholesterol, however I don't understand. I am overweight & have been my whole life, but I don't eat junk food or normal sweets because I honestly don't care for them. If I do, its a piece of fresh fruit or a granola bar. That's about as sweet as I get. I drink water or decaffinated diet green tea...no soda because I have major migraines, so caffeine is out for me completely. What or where are my numbers supposed to be? Why is my sugar high when I don't eat it? I am on Metformin 500mgs 2x's a day & does it give anyone else diarrhea? Please help or if someone can lead me in a direction for a good website? Thanks in advance.

davedsel responded:
Hello and welcome.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

Reading through that site should give you the info you are looking for.

GI symptoms are very common when first taking Metformin. They get better or go away completely for many people. It may take several weeks for the symptoms to subside and the medication to work at its fullest capacity.

You would benefit by seeing a Certified Diabetes Educator, Nutritionist or Dietician. Talk to your doctor about these health care professionals or search for one locally. See what your health care insurance plan will cover.

Ideal fasting blood glucose readings should be 80-100. A reading of 100-125 is now considered by most doctors as pre-diabetes, and over 125 is full diabetes. Your readings 2 hours after a meal should be 140 or less.

Diabetes is a disease caused by heredity and lifestyle. Sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, is in many of the processed foods we eat. Inactivity can also contribute to higher blood sugar readings.

Keep doing your research and striving to change your lifestyle. You can manage Type 2 Diabetes with an active effort on your part.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 responded:
Welcome crystalevon. You probably are overwhelmed at all of this. Being overweight is likely one of the biggest contributors in having diabetes.

You received great answers from Dave. Watch your numbers carefully.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Carbohydrates convert to glucose in your bloodstream. Carbs are used for energy in your body.

What you need to do is watch your carb counts. Don't even look at sugar content because that is included in TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES on a nutrition label.

See if your doctor can recommend a registered dietician to you. He/she can give you guidelines to follow when planning meals.

Nutrition is important in dealing with diabetes. All of our foods contain carbohydrates except for your proteins and fats. Look at all nutrition labels carefully.

Physical activity is important along with meal planning. Being active can keep your blood sugar levels normal if you eat right. Even walking can help you out. Doctors recommend 7 1/2 hours of exercise a week to help your blood glucose numbers remain as normal as they can.

The one question everyone asks is why their numbers are high if they don't eat. The liver thinks your body is starving if there is no food. It will release glucose into your bloodstream and cause your numbers to go up. This is especially true in the morning after fasting.

Things will get better. You need to eat healthier, lower fats and eat more complex carbs. Complex carbs slow down the absorption of glucose in your bloodstream.

Diabetes runs in my family. My mom had it. I inherited it from her. She was insulin dependent and so am I.

It is important you talk with someone (like Dave said.) Diabetes educator and/or a registered dietician. Keep in mind that it is the carbohydrate contents of any food that will cause your blood sugar to go up. Get the word "sugar" out of your head.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

brinerlady replied to auriga1's response:
You gave her a good suggestion: "get sugar out of your head." What she needs to learn is starches turn to sugars. Things like bread, pastas, doughnuts, bagels, crackers, rice. All turn to sugars. I always turn to this book that is such a big help:The Calorie King Fat & Carbohydrate Counter." ( Barnes & Noble have it for about $10.00 new, cheaper used) This is my bible. I have one in my car and one in the house. It gives you the calorie, fat and carbs for nearly everything eatable. It also includes over 200 restaurants and fast-food chains and most of their foods. Plus sodium and alcohol. When we were on a drive, I was so thirsty and looked in my book for A & W and found I could have a 20ounce rootbeer float using sugar free rootbeer. This is 30 carbs. Just the 20 ounce rootbeer was 0 carbs, 0fat, 0 Calories. So I asked the lady if she would give me the 20 ounce sugar free and just half of the normal amount of soft serve she would use for a regular float. Which she gladly did and my barbs went down to 15. What a pleasure that was to taste!!!! I also have learned to have my old fashion drink using SPLENDA instead of the bar sugar. No cherries and diet 7-up as the mixer. Wonderful. This book will help you start to feel normal again. The restaurants included are some I've never heard of but all the usual ones like Olive Garden, McDonalds, Applebees, Subway, Noodles & Company, Old COuntry Buffet, Spaghetti Factory, KFC, Golden Corral, Godfather's Pizza, coffee creamers, candy, crackers, eggs, fish and the list goes on. 287 pages of everything you need to know.
Also, I think the hospitals have classes for Diabetes Education. My insurance covered the classes. This was a lot of nice information and how and what foods turn to sugars. In my classes we were given a 5 page leaflet of "Meal Planning by Counting Carbohydrates." Always look at the labels on every bag or can to see how many CARBS ARE IN A "SERVING" and how many servings they consider to be in their container. It could say 30 carbs per serving but their serving size is 2 TBSP. Put it back on the shelf unless you would be using it for a meal. My educator said have 45 - 60 carbs per meal. 2 pieces of toast would be 30 carbs alone. Butter has no carbs. So I save the other 15 carbs for a snack later on. Once you learn what you're doing, it will be less intimidating and you can lead a normal life. I take Metformin 500 mg. 2X a day and Lantis Solostar pen insulin in the evening. Started off with 25 units a day and now am down to 8 units. I rarely run over 125 day and night. Meat basically has no carbs. Pork chops, hamburger without the bun, steaks. chicken, turkey, fish, ham. All basiucally no carbs. Nice snacks. One medium boiled egg is basically no carbs and good protein, like meat is, so I always keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the frig. Good snacks. Keep watching WEB MD. Lots of people on here will help you and you can learn what other people have learned in their journeys of having diabetes. Good luck with your journey. Brinerlady

auriga1 replied to brinerlady's response:
Brinerlady, had to smile at your "bible." My dietician handed me "The Calorie King" on our first visit. It, too, is my bible. People look at me funny when I turn over packages in the store, at work, at their home to find the nutrition label.

I have tabs and bookmarks everywhere in my "bible." They indicate my favorite foods or the ones I eat most often. Wish I could keep it all in my head, but not possible.

"The Calorie King" is also available online, but having the book is actually a faster access for me.

I'm allowed 35-45 carbs only. My first A1C was way out of whack, hence the lower carb allowance. I use two insulins to keep my numbers in check. I have zero tolerance for carbs. Doc thinks I have no working pancreatic beta cells for producing insulin.

Yes, proteins and fats have zero carbs. One must choose wisely among the fats, keeping those choices to mono-unsaturated fats such as olive oil rather than butter. Moderation is key in everything we eat. Need to watch caloric content as well, whether one needs to lose weight or not.

auriga1 replied to davedsel's response:
Hey, Dave. Nice to see you!

davedsel replied to auriga1's response:
Hello, auriga1 and thanks. I've decided to come back to WebMD and post occasionally. Mostly on the Back Pain board but a bit here as well.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrscora01 replied to davedsel's response:
Hey Dave. Auriga beat me to it. I meant to welcome you back as well. Glad to see you.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

davedsel replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you, Cora. Didn't know I was so popular. Feels good.

Blessings,

-Dave

oilpainter52 responded:
Hello,
I am new to webMD and this forum. I have been using a medtronic insulin pump for about 5 years now ( type 2) and find that with regular visits to my endocrinnologist that the pump keeps my sugars regulated and I feel better when they are leveled out. I am also over weight and diabetes is a heredity factor from my mother's side of the family. It is hard for diabetics to lose weight as my MD told me himself because insulin tends to make you have an appetite. I also had to have knee surgery for a torn meniscus injury in my right knee June of 2012. You can not repair a meniscus, it had to be trimmed instead, therefore my mobility is a factor and my knee can become straine easily now. Losing weight under all these conditions will be a struggle but one I intend to win. I have ordered the Health Master food emulsifier at a cost of 190.00 with shipping. I have all the weight watcher books I need to count calories to use here on WebMD and log my progress. I need to lose 126 lbs for my age,height,weight, diabetes and high cholesterol. I want to live and live a full happy healthy life as I am tired of the way I am now. It is a new journey that I welcome and I hope all on here continue to encourage one another and strive to succeed, I feel I have no other choice at this stage, it is either do it on my own or have a gastric by pass and I do not desire to go under the knife what so ever, ever again.

davedsel replied to oilpainter52's response:
Hello oilpainte52 and welcome.

Just an FYI, it is best in this case to start your own discussion. Click on the orange "Post Now" button in the upper right-hand corner and start a discussion. Your post will not be an add-on to someone else's.

I understand about the weight-loss surgery as I have considered this for years. Even went to a few seminars and started the process but did not continue. What is more important is to change our mind-set and realize we can do this without surgery.

It is true that Type 2 Diabetes is hereditary, but we can overcome those genes and see victory. While the whole lifestyle change process is not at all easy, it is not impossible. Be more active and eat a healthy diet. I understand about physical problems as I am disabled due to multiple degenerative spinal conditions. My being 110 pounds overweight does not help with that. I can't be active for as long as I once was able to be, but I try and do some type of activity each day. Walking, gardening, yard work, even house work are activities we can all fit into our lives despite our limitations.

I pray you will have success in your efforts.

Blessings,

-Dave

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.