Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does anyone know - - -
Debsbears posted:
If having an ileostomy will change my blood sugars? I can't find any info on this. I just had my A1c done in June and it was 5.5%.

I know many of you have ways of figuring this out - I am just curious. Thanks Deb.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

nutrijoy responded:
Debs, I don't believe an ileostomy in and of itself will directly affect your blood sugars. However, the ileostomy could impact or influence the types of foods that you can or should eat (it's usually an individual thing but often requires less fiber-containing foods). The more restrictive diet that may be required is the thing that will have the greatest effect on your blood sugars. The younger you are (and the fewer health issues that you have), the greater will be the range of foods that you will be able to include. The older you are or the greater the number of other health issues that you may have, the greater may be the impact on the types of foods you can eat. Depending on what those dietary restrictions are could ultimately influence your BG levels. You doctor may even determine whether you might benefit by supplementing with insulin. However, insulin use is NOT the bad thing that many people, including some doctors, often misbelieve. Insulin works, plain and simple. If it keeps you tightly controlled, it is a good thing, not bad. The latter is a far, far better alternative to the insidious development of complications that persistent, elevated blood sugars cause. Insulin injections are far less painful than the finger prick tests of blood glucose testing and no more invasive. Therefore, if insulin use might become a necessity in your future, simply embrace it as part of staying healthy.

Debsbears replied to nutrijoy's response:
NutriJoy, I am currently on a low fiber diet - limited to only 15gms a day my dr. says that might not change. My carbs right now are no more than 20gms at meal times (3 a day) my snacks are salads or Greek Yogurt Plain 9gms per serving. Right now my protein intake out ways my carbs and fiber, can't afford another bacterial over growth problem due to a motility issue.

We will see what happens after surgery, I was told that if my sugars climb Metformin is NOT an option, I'll deal with this one day at a time. Thanks again Deb
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
70 of 140 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.