Skip to content
Diabetes?
silkpark posted:
When my son was almost 17 he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. That was 5 years ago. Recently my 17 year old daughter has been complaining of not feeling well. She has lost some weight and has very low energy. Out of the blue today I thought maybe I should check her blood sugar. It was 145. All she's had to eat today is a couple slices of toast. Is this considered an abnormal blood sugar level?

flutetooter replied to nutrijoy's response:
NutriJoy, I,ve just spent quite a bit of time on the diabetes-warrior.net website and found it very interesting. Dr. Bernstein's book has also been my main source of info. I am still not on any meds, but had entertained the idea of going on minimal metformin, until I started reading accounts of kidney damage. I'll try reducing my carbs still lower first to get my A1c at least down to 5.7. I'm not happy starting on minimal statins either. I'll wait for the three month test to make a decision.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Anon_74671 responded:
silkpark, please take your daughter to the doctor to be checked out. at the least get her blood sugar and a1c done, and they can also test for antibodies since it runs in the family.

please ignore posters who say type 1 diabetes can be reversed and can stop taking insulin, they probably mean type 2, type 1 will die without insulin.

silkpark replied to Anon_74671's response:
We went to the doctors last night. She has lost 17 pounds. They tested her urine. That was ok. Today she did a fasting blood glucose as well as a celiac panel, thyroid test and quite a few others. Hope to hear back tomorrow sometime.

auriga1 responded:
Welcom Silkpark. The number 145 is higher than normal. A non-diabetic's blood sugar will average 85 during any given time of day, except for after one eats any carbs.

Two hours after a meal, the BS should be 140 or below. In the a.m., the BS should be between 70-100. Same number when tested before going to bed.

Good luck with your daughter's tests. Let us know how she's doing.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.