Skip to content
Fasting blood glucose
shoecrazy posted:
My fasting bg was 92. Is it possible to have diabetes or prediabetes even though the number was acceptable? I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies, a family history, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. In addition, I am 28 lbs. overweight. Should I be more proactive about other tests?

nutrijoy responded:
Short answer: yes, it is quite possible. However, a detailed explanation is quite lengthy and I don't have time to do it right now (requires explaining pancreatic function and how Phase I, Phase II and basal insulin fit into the picture). Your best bet is to see your doctor and get a Hemoglobin A1c blood test to determine how challenged your pancreatic function is. If time permits, I'll try to put together a detailed explanation that may help you better understand how having a "normal" fasting BG level may still produce an elevated or challenged A1c level.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.