Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PaPa's diabetes
Kriana1 posted:
My 70+ dad has diabetes he will still balk at it and insist the insulin is a sham but his taking it is a trade off for not loosing his foot. He also was humbled when after 12 day hospital stay he had to goto the nursing home for recover. Of course his favorite games were laying in the bed hanging off the side and waiting for the nurse to freak out come about an inch from his face and jump to surprise her. They were not amused by his behavior and refusals for therapy to medicine. He hated it there as well. Now that he is home he is progressively getting less mobile and falls often he says his legs are sore and knees mush. He was dragged to the hospital by me fighting me the whole way charms his dr and not sure he truthful. I have picked my 300pound after off the floor a few times. Any suggestions please

nutrijoy responded:
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
You can try to teach your Dad, but you can't make him think.

That might sound harsh at first blush but unless your Dad is receptive and open to learning, very little is likely to persuade him to take this potentially serious and insidious disease seriously ... until, of course, it may be too late. If he is still willing to read about the nature of diabetes, perhaps Dr. Bernstein's own personal story may strike a resonant chord. You can both read it online at this link . If he finds the story interesting, I would highly recommend that you get his book, Dr. Berstein's Diabetes Solution , available in both hard copy and ebook formats.

I would also recommend that you visit the BloodSugar101 site and in particular, read the section on Organ Damage caused by diabetes. There is a plethora of other very useful articles available on that website to help both those new to diabetes as well as more seasoned veterans. Hopefully, as your Dad becomes better educated and informed, he will improve his attitude and embrace the lifestyle modifications required to keep the disease under control to avoid complications. Forum members will be happy to contribute loads of tips and suggestions but only if your Dad is seriously interested in same.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.