Skip to content
Metformin and Homeopathic Attends (ADD)
juniebjones posted:
My husband controls his diabetes with Metformin (1-500mg in am and 2- 500mg at pm) he has begun taking Attends- a homeopathic supplement to help with his ADD. Have there been any reported problems with combining these two.

dennis77 responded:
Before taking any new meds, including any OTC meds your husband needs to contact his doctor to check for problems with interaction.

nutrijoy responded:
Attend is a homeopathic supplement formulated with 72 specific ingredients that include amino acid combinations (allegedly for the increased production of specific neurotransmitters), Essential Fatty Acids and Phospholipid complexes (supplementation in EFAs and lipid complexes has been shown to be beneficial for ADHD and brain performance in general), and homeopathic medicines (plus targeted micro-nutritionals) for the normal function of the brain and its related neurochemistry.

The list of ingredients in Attend include:
Kali Phosphoricum, Lithium Carbonicum 30C, Natrum Muriaticum 12C, 30C, Agaricus Muscarius, Argentum Nitricum, Fluoricum Acidum, Hyoscyamus Niger, Iodium, Kali Bromatum, Humulus Lupulus, Ignatia Amara 9C, 12C, 30C, Hypothalamus 12C, Avena Sativa 6C, 12C, Cortico-hypothalmic Axis 7C, Parasympathetic Ganglion, Cimicifuga Racemosa 4C, Caffeinum 8X, 12X, 30X, Diopside, Gauconie, Rhodonite, Lithium Bromatum 8X. In A Base of: Medium Chain Triglycerides, Chromium Nicotinate, L-tyrosine, Alpha-linolenic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Green Tea Extract, Trifolium Pratense, Flax Seed Powder, Phosphatidycholine, Phosphatidylethanolamine, Phosphatidylinositol, Epa, L-isoLeucine, L-Leucine, L-vaLine, Dl-methionine, L-gLutamic Acid, Gaba, Dmae, Ginkgo Biloba, Decosahexaenoic Acid, Conjugated Linoleic Acid, Gla, Eciosatrienoic Acid, Archidonic Acid, Glycine, Dl-phenylanine, Pine Bark Extract, Radix Heraclei, Pregnenolone, Caproic Acid, Caprylic Acid, Octoanoic Acid, Lauric Acid, Pentadeconic Acid, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Palmitoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Arachidic Acid, Oleic Acid, L-gLutathione, Di-calcium Pantothenate (B5), Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc, Niacinamide (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), L-cysteine, L-cystine, Pycnogenol, Gotu Kola, Phosphatidylserine, Nadh, L-5htp, Gelatin, Rice Flour and Sorbitol.

I am a retired pharmacist (Pharm.D degree) and I could not locate any reported contraindications between the listed ingredients and metformin. That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any but none that I could find online and none that I am aware of in my background studies of materia medica. A prudent course of action is to simply self-monitor and be aware of any unusual, out-of-the-ordinary symptoms that may arise. Asking your doctor is always a wise decision but probably unlikely to result in any useful information as s/he will probably not be aware of any contraindications either. As an option, you might post a query on the Ask A Patient website to see if anyone else (i.e., any other patient) has experienced or reported any potential adverse side effects or contraindications.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.