Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mail Order Testing Strips
flutetooter posted:
Just now via Email to me from Abbott Laboratories "Freestyle": "Medicare is drastically reducing the number of authorized mail order providers of diabetes supplies." Is this free enterprize , or control by government? Who may be lining the pockets of law makers? Are they testing which ones are the best, or which ones are cheapest, or which ones give the best kickbacks? I already self-pay to get the testing supplies which I deem necessary to keep my bloodsugar stable, NOT the one a day they provide with pages of data from only the kind of more expensive meter that will print it out. Ouch!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy responded:
Medicare has been morally bankrupt for decades. There is no question that revenue outflow greatly exceeds revenue inflow but the inept politicians responsible for properly administering the program always target the wrong channels to reduce expenses. Cutting doctor's fees across the board instead of targeting (and heavily fining) the fraudulent ones is an all too common practice (IMHO, fines should exceed the net worth of the perpetrator and should be accompanied by incarceration). The greatest amount of fraud and/or waste seems to be in the area of medical supplies and equipment and the large quantity of strips available on eBay is just one indicator.

My sister-in-law is a retired Medi-Cal investigator for the State of California and the number of fraudulent cases that she personally uncovered (via physical visits to various "provider" sites) is mind-boggling. The TV ads are just a tiny indicator where waste and abuse frequently occur. It always gets my hackles up when the ad states "at no cost to you" (...but soaks the taxpayer). The ads for "free scooters" is particularly distasteful. While there are some seriously handicapped seniors and others who may require these scooters, far too many apply for one because "it's virtually free." The ignorant ones wind up further degrading their already substandard health by sitting instead of moving on their own two feet (particularly those who are overweight and don't even attempt a healthier lifestyle based on those I see eating at fast food and all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants). Others, and I have witnessed this personally (because I knew the perps involved), get one primarily for recreational purposes because "it didn't cost them anything".

I have been on Medicare (paid for out of my SS retirement funds) for over seven years. The premiums that I have paid TO Medicare far exceed any benefits that I have ever drawn FROM Medicare. As a matter of fact, you can add up the grand total of all fees Medicare has paid on my behalf for all seven years and they don't even match the premiums I have paid to them for one single year. Even though I have a Medicare Part D Rx Plan with Humana, they have yet to pay a single penny for my Rx's which is primarily insulin, syringes, lancets, test strips, and Metformin. All are exempt items in terms of coverage because I chose to use regular (OTC) insulin, low cost Metformin, and low-cost syringes and supplies. Yet, if I were to switch to expensive pen insulins (analog and basal) and expensive oral meds, then my Rx Plan would cover about 80% of the cost. The expenses for the latter would greatly exceed what my present regimen costs but where's the logic in terms of penalizing someone just because they can get by with less?

I currently spend about $2,000 a year for health maintenance (less than half of the total is for insulin, test strips, supplies and meds) with the lion's share spent on prophylactic measures including my nutritional supplements and a full panel blood test. It is my firm belief that everyone is blessed with good health if they are born healthy (i.e., free of disease and/or congenital flaws). However, many of us destroy that health by selecting unhealthy lifestyles and eating food that is often laden or infused with toxic substances but are told by agencies that are supposed to protect us that the foods are safe to consume. Virtually every country in the world requires that companies must prove that their food products are safe before it can be marketed. The United States is almost the sole exception and allows GM (genetically-modified) foods to be sold unless or until someone can prove that they are unsafe. Well, the evidence is starting to mount against GM foods but our government has yet to lift a finger to halt, warn or even require the labeling of GM foods. While only GM soy and GM corn have officially been approved, GM wheat has "escaped into the wild" and now contaminates many fields.

My post might get pulled so read it now.

flutetooter replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks for the great reply. I had been testing Freestyle meter & strips against Walgreen's TrueTrack, because Dr. Bernstein, on his monthly web Q & A said he had found it to be the most accurate in the more normal ranges. It did give me results slightly higher reading for after meals, and slightly lower for the low readings, but was twice as expensive for the strips. So.. I will continue with my old True Track, and not even consider going through medicare, and remember that my reading may be a bit off. I am also self- paying for another item, because I don't like what I read about the brand they cover. That's O.K. with me. At least I can still get the items I want.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.