Skip to content
Morning Highs
jamie7282 posted:
Any tips for lowering blood sugar in the mornings?
Eating very low carbs in the evening does not seem to help?

krhudson responded:
Hi Jamie 7282,

Depends on what meds you are on and whether you are type
1 or type 2. How high are your fasting morning blood sugars?
Low carbs is a good thing and always helps. A little more
information may help about your schedule of diet and
exercise the prior day. Blood sugar can sometimes tend to
spike a little in the morning.

There is something called Pre Dawn Phenomenon that can
be explained better than I can explain it. This may have
something to do with it.

Can someone else explain Pre Dawn Phenomenon to Jamie?
Even if it does not pertain to her situation it is a good one to
know. It has to do with morning slight spikes. It may be more
often in type 2s than type 1s

Krhudson

auriga1 responded:
Hopefully, others will come along to give you some ideas from what they experience and do to lower BS numbers in the a.m.

I don't experience it because I use insulin. Insulin inhibits the release of glycogen (a form of starch) from the liver and muscles of most insulin users. Glycogen is stored in the liver and muscles for later fuel use for the body.

The dawn phenomenon results from the liver releasing glycogen (turns into glucose in the body) around 3:00 a.m. There are no meals during sleep, so the liver behaves as if the body is "starving" releasing the glycogen.

Some people have combatted the morning highs by a mixture of food/snacks before retiring for the night. You might have to something right before bed. Your very low carbs in the evening is most likely triggering your liver to release the glycogen in the wee hours of the morning.

T

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.