Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 1 diabetes Pregnancy
avatar
An_252875 posted:
If I have type 1 diabetes and my AC1 is 9 and I have a possibility of being pregnant what are the chances that my baby will be healthy?
Reply
 
avatar
mrscora01 responded:
Both you and the baby are at risk if you do not get good control. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but for starters, high blood sugar can cause the baby to be very large. This is a danger to you and also to the baby, not only during birth but afterwards. Some studies suggest that a higher glucose level can also be associated with birth defects (but I'm not exactly sure what). Also, breastfeeding can also be an issue for you as a type 1, seriously affecting your glucose levels. You need to be in good shape not only during the pregnancy, but afterwards also.
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
 
avatar
paulinal replied to mrscora01's response:
My Ac1 has gone from 10 to 9 in 3 months. Is there a way to lower the AC1 faster.
 
avatar
mrscora01 replied to paulinal's response:
Your average glucose level has gone from 240 (13.3 mmol) to 212 (11.7). This is going to take some strong discipline on your part. How often are you testing? What sorts of insulin are you on? What is your diet like? Do you know your insulin to carb ratio?

To get really good control you will have to test a lot including 1. fasting, 2. after breakfast, 3. before lunch, 4. after lunch, 5. mid afternoon, 6. before supper, 7. after supper, 8. before bed.

I would get the books Using Insulin adn Think Like a Pancreas. Both will give you excellent info on how to adjust your insulin. I hope you are on a modern basal/bolus plan.

I hope this helps a bit. Where do you feel you have the most problems?

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
 
avatar
paulinal replied to mrscora01's response:
I am testing 1-3 times a day. I am taking lantus and novolog. My diet has lessened a lot, I was eating way too much before and now tthe regualr 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks per day. My carb ratio is 1 unit per 10 carbs.
My problem is checking my sugar and taking insulin before meals because im scared to not eat enough and give too much insulin.
 
avatar
mrscora01 replied to paulinal's response:
You will absolutely need to test more. Here is the good news. If you test more, you will know if your blood sugar is going up or down and can easily avoid a low. So if you use your insulin to carb ratio, and then test, you will see if you took the right amount of insulin.

It sounds like you are sometimes not taking your shots to avoid a low. This is not only bad for you, it's bad for the baby. It can change your blood chemistry if you go too high. Have a look over the books I mentioned. You might even be able to pick them up at your local library.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
 
avatar
paulinal replied to mrscora01's response:
So i tested last night and my sugar was 99 and i was scared of a low while i was sleeping so I ate 10 grapes thinking it wouldn't be too much and this morning i was at 262. That I didnt understand. Also when I checked an hour after lunch yesterday it was 214 so i took 4units of novolog and then was low 65 2 hours later.
 
avatar
mrscora01 replied to paulinal's response:
Probably what happened was that you had both dawn phenomenon (rising blood sugars over night) and ate too many carbs before bed. The 99 was probably an ok number for you. Next time, maybe eat some nuts, or a cracker with a bit of peanut butter if you feel you need to.

One hour after lunch you still had your pre-lunch insulin working. I'm assuming you took something for the lunch carbs. Correct me if I'm wrong. You probably should have waited until at least the 2 hour mark before stacking your insulin.

At least you are getting down to the double digits. 65 isn't actually that low so you wouldn't need to correct too much. I know you are afraid of lows, but until you get your numbers down a bit more, "normal" blood sugars will feel low to you. So be careful when you add carbs.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
 
avatar
paulinal replied to mrscora01's response:
Yes I had taken insulin with my lunch. When my sugars are at 65 i get the cold sweats, shakes, and weak feeling. But when my sugar is at about 80 I feel low as well should I not be correcting at 80-90?
 
avatar
mrscora01 replied to paulinal's response:
Nope, 80 or 90 is fine unless you have taken insulin without food within a few hours before (this is what I meant by "active" insulin. Until you get used to normal numbers, anything below about 200 or so (given your a1c) will start to feel low for you. Eating something with no or minimal carb will help. Try some nuts or some cheese. This will help calm you and feel better.

The good news is that after a few weeks of normal sugars, you won't feel low any more.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
 
avatar
auriga1 replied to paulinal's response:
Paulinal, I take insulin also. Lantus and Humalog with meals. I had problems with the Humalog in that I would take it before a meal and then not eat enough carbs because I was full. I asked my doctor if it was O.K. to take the Humalog right after I ate (five minutes), knowing then how many carbs I ate. For me it worked fine. The only thing is that Humalog has a faster start time than that of Novolog. Ask your doctor if this might help you.

I had uncontrolled diabetes at diagnosis. My doctor reajusted both insulin dosages until we finally got a right.
 
avatar
paulinal replied to auriga1's response:
My pharmacy switched from Humalog to Novolog they are both suppose to be fast acting. I used to take the Humalog I have been taking it after meals and it seems to be working for me as well. I have now had Type one for 5 years and am finally getting it controlled.
 
avatar
auriga1 replied to paulinal's response:
Yes, both those insulins are rapid-acting insulins. Humalog just has a faster start of action at 10 minutes compared to Novolog's 20 minutes according to my pharmacology book.

I have gone low many times when I took my Humalog before a meal rather than after. Learned the hard way to inject right after eating. Glad the after-meal injection is working for you.
 
avatar
Anon_74671 responded:
when i found out i was pregnant (11 years ago!) my A1C was 9.6.
the doctors advised me that for every percent over 6 the change of birth defects increases by 2%, on top of there already being a 2% chance due to having diabetes.
So my chances of having a baby with a birth defect was nearly 10%
My daughter is 10 now, was born perfect and has had no health issues at all...so that 90% chance of having a healthy baby was stronger that the other 10%
that said, when i found out i was pregnant, i immediately started testing many times a day and eating better and in a month my a1c was down to 6.


Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.