Skip to content
Diabete
An_252895 posted:
please help I am type Diabetic 2 am my toes are numb and tingles all the time and some times I cant feel them and they feel like they are on fire from the inside out PLEASE HELP

Take the Poll

please help I am type Diabetic 2 am my toes are numb and tingles all the time and some times I cant feel them and they feel like they are on fire from the inside out PLEASE HELP
  • HELP
  • HELP
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_320 responded:
You need to see your doctor.

An_252908 responded:
This is not a poll it is a plea for a diagnosis. We can't do that but I will suggest you go see a neurologist as it sounds like some kind of neuropathy, diabetic or some other kind.

rohvannyn replied to An_252908's response:
The only help any of us can give is to tell you, you aren't going to get better at this point without a doctor's help. Even if you started eating right, and exercising a lot, and doing everything perfectly, some of that damage could be irreversable even with a doctor's help. There is no magic pill, supplement, or charm that we can point you toward. Please, look around in your community for resources, check with charities, save your money, or else get used to the deterioration.

nutrijoy responded:
Take a look at this WebMD page on a nutrient called Alpha Lipoic Acid (be sure to read both the [Overview> and [Uses> segments in the WebMD article. As a supplement, it can be taken orally but there is also an IV form that is administered in hospitals by physicians. This Life Extension article , written by Dr. Mark A. Mitchell, provides greatly expanded information on alpha lipoic acid, a natural antioxidant that is normally produced in healthy human bodies. Production tends to drop off dramatically with age, however, which makes supplementation a desirable option for many seniors and those who suffer from diabetes-related neuropathies. Consulting with your physician is still a must and a warning on most package labels clearly states:
If you are sensitive to changes in blood sugar and/or are being treated for diabetes with blood sugar-lowering drugs, please consult with your physician before supplementing with R-Lipoic acid. In this context, start with a low dose and assess for effect. Inform your physician should you notice any changes while taking this product.
Alpha lipoic acid is used pharmaceutically in Germany (requires a prescription) but is prescribed or used in conjunction with essential lifestyle changes (dietary & physical exercise together with weight reduction). Therein lies one of the major caveats of using this supplement: without lifestyle changes, alpha lipoic acid may be of reduced value. The other caveat is that insurance will not cover the cost. Alpha lipoic acid consists of two different isomers, an "R" and an "S" form in a 50/50 ratio. Only the "R" form is biologically active. The supplement is not inexpensive if you purchase the "R" form (R-Lipoic acid). Recommended dosage is 300mg to 600mg daily (on Rx, dosages up to 1200mg are often prescribed), preferably taken with meals.

The sole purpose of this post is to let you know that the outlook for neuropathies is not quite as bleak as some forum members may believe. While individual responses to nutritional supplements can vary greatly, alpha lipoic acid may offer benefits to those who respond favorably to it. I credit a-l-a for my own recovery from neuropathy (including foot drop syndrome) nearly seven years ago and have continued to take it to this day (I have no detectable signs of any complications at present but my A1c is 4.8 which may be a significant factor).

PurpleSugarFree replied to nutrijoy's response:
I had that problem earlier this year, as a matter fact it was march of this year. I massaged my feet constantly throughout the day. I also did the following: soaked my feet in warm water for fifteen minutes then immediately soaked my feet in cold water for fifteen minutes. I did alternating intervals between the two daily in the evenings. It worked for me hopefully it work for you. Good Luck!!!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.