Skip to content
diabetes and e-cigarette flavored juices
kensturn posted:
My wife is a type 2 diabetic and a smoker who has recently taken up e-cigarette vaporing. I am concerned about the flavored juices containing sugars that could raise her blood sugar level. Anyone have info on this?

nutrijoy responded:
Typical recipes for e-juices utilize about 5 ml/cc per dose. Most use flavoring agents in a vegetable or propylene glycol base (the latter is not much different than the anti-freeze used in cars). Sugar content, if any, would just be a fractional gram and of little consequence in the overall scheme of things (most recipes do not contain any sugar at all). The jury is still out, however, on the harmful nature of inhaling foreign substances into the lungs. On a long term basis, you might liken it to a choice between enhanced risk for lung cancer (using real cigarettes) and possible impaired lung capacity/emphysema (using e-cigs).

For more info, just type "e-juice ingredients" or "e-juice recipes" into your favorite search engine for a boat load of posts. Some are somewhat informative but most will either appeal to those already hooked on the habit or will be hosted by an e-vendor trying to sell you something.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.