Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insulin
CCLUV posted:
My mother takes an insulin shot every morning. She has Diabetes II. She cannot remember whether or not she took her shot this morning. What should we do?

auriga1 responded:
Hi, CCLUV. I've done that before, I mean not taking my insulin in the morning. I waited until the next morning to take it, so I wouldn't throw my schedule completely off.

If she does not remember, please don't re-dose. That can get too dangerous by lowering her blood sugar dramatically.

My blood sugar went up a little bit, but not enough that it was a serious thing. For most people, it's not serious to miss one dose. I take two insulins, the one being Lantus, a long-acting insulins (24-period) and Humalog with meals. The Humalog prevents my blood sugar from spiking when I eat carbohydrates.

If she or you are worried, check her blood sugar throughout the day. You don't say if she takes other diabetic meds or another insulin with meals.

I would say not to worry too much. Being stressed can raise one's blood sugar, too. I do believe she will be fine.

brinerlady responded:
Remember how I am always preaching to keep track in a notebook, or similar, and record your every move? This proves my theory. She should let her little book out on the table every night before she goes to bed. In the morning that will tell her to take it, AND RECORD TIME AND HOW MANY UNITS. When she has taken it, put it away. She will have written down if she took it or not. But do not ever take a dose not knowing if you already did nor not. Serious consequences could very well occur. Get her started with some kind of a tally notebook and if she takes other meds, make a column for that too. I have all of my results from day one of my diagnosis.First list day, date, time, test results, notes if result needs explanation.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.