Skip to content
blood sugar
jmcfan posted:
hi i am new to this so i hope i write my questions right. well i went to the dr. yesterday for my cholestrol check up, and burcitis shots, i get that done, came home ate a sub started getting a headache and my face got real flushed well i thought it was my menopause i think i am going through, but to be safe i pricked my finger and it showed my blood sugar was 206, i checked it again around 8:30 last night it was 235, i texted a friend whick is a nurse she said to drink water so i drank 2 bottles, i checked it again at 9:50 it went down to 231, i checked it at 11:25 pm it was 240 then again at 2:31 am it was 221 at 7:10 am it was 184 and at 8:06 it was 158, the people i have talked to thinks i mite have diabetes, mr dr dont even tell me the results of my blood work, any suggestions
Anon_320 responded:
I would find a different doctor. It certainly sounds like you have diabetes, and you need a doctor who will take it seriously, and who will discuss all of your lab results with you. It sounds like your doctor isn't providing even the most basic care if he doesn't tell you the results of your blood tests.
krhudson responded:
Hi jmcfan,

Ask the Dr. what your last A1C was on the lab work and what
your fasting blood sugar was. Then tell the Dr. you have not
been feeling well and the symptoms you described here and show him what your blood sugars were when you tested and
what you had to eat. If the Dr. does not handle Diabetes then
you ask for a referral to an Endocrinologist that does
specialize in Diabetes. That Dr. will help you get on track
with an exercise routine and a lower carb or correct carb diet.
You may be able to do this on diet and exercise alone but
let the Dr.determine how to start. He/she may put you on
meds until they can get your sugars back to normal or
depending on your weight and habits you may be on meds

I hope I helped. The sugars you mention are very high and
for to long of a duration. They should never be over 180 an
hour or 2 after a meal and the blood sugars should rather
rapidly be decreasing back down to 100 throughout the day.
Ideally, 85 all day is real nice.

krhudson replied to Anon_320's response:
Hi Anon,

If tests are all normal they should simply just say that rather
than nothing about them. I also ask for a copy of my labs
for my records. Some Dr.s simply review them and if they
are normal they will not spend time reviewing them
unfortunately. If jmcfan finds out that the last A1c was above
5.8 and the Dr.did not mention the potential for Diabetes is
there then I would consider changing my Internist. In general
if all Labs were normal all along I would ask for the Specialist.
If the communication with the Dr. has never been good than
I would find a new Internist and a Specialist in Endocrinology
for the Diabetes.


Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.