Skip to content
Fasting BGS Increase Before Eating
BarbIAm posted:
Why does my fasting blood glucose jump. I tested this morning and it was 5.8. I got ready for work and about an hour later I tested before I ate breakfast and it was 7.9. This happened yesterday as well but the increase was 3.0 higher than the original fasting.

krhudson responded:
Barb,

Those decimal numbers look like A1C numbers? They are not
blood sugar results. Blood Sugar results can range from 25
if your super low all the way up to 200 or more if you are
high.

Ideal fasting numbers run anywhere between 70 - 99 as
normal good numbers and 2 hours after a meal 120 is good.

Not sure about meds you are on but quite often if you do not
eat breakfast fairly soon after waking up the blood sugar will
jump because the Liver is not recognizing you have not eaten
yet.

Will someone else explain what exactly the Liver does in the
mornings if we do not eat that causes the possible small spike
in the blood sugar? I want to give BarblAm the correct answer.

krhudson

mrscora01 replied to krhudson's response:
5.8 is in mmol/L. It translates to 104 mg/dl (multiply by 18 to get the numbers used mostly in the US). The mmol measurement is used in most of Europe, in Canada, and in many other places in the world. So for the rest of the world, 70 - 99 will convert to roughly 4 - 5.5 and the 120 translates to 6.7. Don't forget that not everyone here is from the US.

The liver will perform something called the Dawn Phenomenon in the mornings. It happens to everyone and is part of the body's way of preparing for the day by adding energy. This happens in the early morning and has nothing to do with eating. In addition, sometimes after a long period of fasting which can happen during the day, the liver will respond by adding glucose for energy. In a diabetic, this is not properly countered with insulin.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

BarbIAm replied to krhudson's response:
Thanks for your response.

BarbIAm replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks for your response.

krhudson replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you MrsCora01

krhudson

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.