Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blood sugar levels
Butch38 posted:
I have type 2 diabetes & manage it with Metformin and glipizide. My morning readings have been around 145 - 149. Yesterday I took my reading before dinner and it was 217. Tonight I took my reading before dinner and it was 106. It has been a little erratic since my gallbladder surgery at the beginning of August. They had to make an incision instead of laproscopically. Is 106 o.k. or do I need to increase it?

davedsel responded:
Hello.

While I must first advise that you really should be discussing this with your doctor, I will say that 106 seems to be OK. Your readings are erratic because your body has been under extreme stress due to the surgery, and I think especially because it was your gall bladder. You may need to give yourself more time to heal before your numbers will regulate.

Do not change your dose without first discussing this with your doctor.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

jacobedward02 responded:
Blood Glucose commonly referred to as Blood Sugar. Blood glucose goals for people with diabetes:
1. Before eating (pre-prandial) 70-130mg/dl
2. 1-2 hours after eating (peak post-prandial) <180mg/dl
3. A1c blood glucose test (3 month blood glucose indicator) <7 percent

Read more article related to blood sugar.:
http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/diabetes-articles/are-you-suffering-from-deadly-low-blood-sugar

auriga1 replied to jacobedward02's response:
I don't understand why various resources and doctors produce different numbers. The numbers quoted above are a little high according to my diabetic team.

These are the numbers given to me by my physician:

Morning fasting: 70-100

Before meals: 70-100

Two hours after a meal: <140

A BS reading one hour after a meal is going to be higher than two hours after a meal.

Maybe the higher numbers are more reasonable for older diabetics? Don't know.

I strive to keep my A1C below 6. Currently, it is 5.6. I've never felt better in my life, no longer having to fight fatigue from high BS numbers.

Dave is right regarding the surgery. It is a stressor on the body and Butch's numbers may stablize once things return to normal.

Butch, if you are concerned, ask your doctor or nurse in the office about your 106 number. Personally, I don't see a need to increase it, but your doctor would know better especially since they have your medical records. Many patients who are older feel physically better with higher numbers. I don't presume to know your age.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.