Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lantus Solostar
brinerlady posted:
I have been on Lantus Solostar for two years now, but I take it along with Metformin 5mg. 1 in am with breakfast and one in evening with supper. I started out with a 500 reading and Lantis was at 20 units. My diabetic educator put me on Metformin along with Lantis and lowered my Lantis to 15. Then 12, then 10 and now I am down to nice readings. I maintain 90 - 110 almost 90% of the time. Sometimes if I have gone out to eat and have some dessert (which I split with my companion) I could be a little elevated to 120, at my evening reading, and have gone as high as 147 for my evening reading. I take my Lantis and next morning I am fine. I have added a half Metformin at noon. now, if I plan on going out. Seems to work! Rather than have two insulins, why not ask your doctor to put you on Metformin? Almost all diabetics now are on that pill. As for my Lantis, I have learned to adjust it myself, from a 5 unit to an 8 unit. That's all I take now to maintain my readings. I have already forgotten to take my Metformin in the morning and I could really see the difference. Now I put my daily dosage in the jar cap. (2 tabs and a half of tab) I ask for a non childproof cap and it works great to keep my pills. That goes right by the kitchen sink in clear sight. I never forget anymore--it's in clear sight. That would be my suggestion, is to ask for Metformin rather than another insulin. Let us know what you decide.

flutetooter responded:
Are you sure that your dosage of metformin is only 5 mg, not 500 mg? It comes in 500 mg and 850 mg for the regular, not time release. Two and 1/2 tablets would equal 1250 mg for the day.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel responded:
Flutetooter is right, that 5 mg does not seem to be a correct dose for Metformin.

Also, you say that you have added a half Metformin at noon. Are you consulting with your doctor before making changes to your medication doses?
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

brinerlady replied to flutetooter's response:
You're right...500mg. Sorry but good for you in seeing that.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.