Skip to content
Diabetes can be a disability!
safronia2010 posted:
I disagree with many of you..mainly the ones whom seem to have their diabetes under control & think it should be easy for other diabetic to do the same. I'm 35 yrs. old & my last doctor told me I wouldn't live to see 50 the way my glucose readings go from high to low & vice versa on a daily basis. (My youngest child will not turn 18 until I am 50!) My pancreas has stopped producing insulin. I am pretty sure that there is no reversing that! My legs & arms throb & ache when my sugar is high, I am experiencing short term memory loss, I often fall into the 30's while sleeping & even during the day. I don't always exhibit low blood sugar warnings, until it is already dangerously low. But I also run between 200-500. I take 5-6 injections of insulin daily. I've tried adding 2000 mg of Metformin daily to that...it made no difference. I lost weight down to 150 lb., walked 10 miles a week...still made no difference in my glucose reading. So for me, it is a disability, I'm tired all the time from the highs & lows, and moody with headaches & now trouble remembering simple things. I feel older than I am & don't have much energy these days. I would like for the controlled diabetics to remember, that we are all different & no ones body is the same! Not everyone can control their diabetes with diet, exercise & medicine.

mrscora01 responded:
I hear you Safronia. I am often angry (although I don't say much) to the folks that insist that if you take good care of yourself, you will not get complications. The DCCT proved that there is still significant possibilities of this even with good control. I took good care of myself and things happened anyway.

Many folks resent it when it is suggested that they brought on their diabetes themselves and yet are more than willing to suggest that problems either with the D or because of the D are all your fault. Don't forget - this is the internet. People aren't always consistent and can't be held accountable.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

brunosbud responded:
First, why do you concern yourself over the relative ease, or difficulty, of others in their efforts to help themselves? How does that benefit your cause? Second, you lost credibility when you suggest that controlling diabetes is "easy". Diabetes is, in most cases, a "controllable" disease. People who are lucky enough to achieve some modicum of "control", still have doubt and must still exercise vigilance...It doesn't wane or go away.

How's that "easy"?

betatoo responded:
Easy! I worry about complications and the future . . . every day. I hate this disease, but know that the only way to stay ahead of it is to be vigilant. I worry all the time whether I have had enough exercise for the day. I wonder if those few corn chips and salsa with the Caesar salad were too much. I even wonder if I should cut out the morning rye toast, while eating two salads a day! My weight has gone from 170 to 145. I have had to buy new clothes because as my wife says, I am the incredible shrinking man! Makes you feel great! I read about D every day, constantly trying to glean the truth from all of the propaganda. Is a vegetarian diet best, is low cab best, is low fat best. All of this weighs on me, along with worries of getting so sick with something else that the big D reeks havoc on my system forcing me to have something amputated or go blind or some other complication. So I work hard, really hard to stay healthy and in shape.

My final thought is more muscle, less insulin resistance, less concentrated carbs in the form of starches less insulin need, more veggies less need of vitamin supplements, more exercise easier burning of existing carbs in the system.

So think twice before you say EASY and scream at us about it.

flutetooter responded:
I have never seen any post on this site that said controllng D2 was easy. Doing research on D2, going to the gym three times a week, cooking stuff like low fat turkey, navy bean, celery soup with the correct # of grams of carbs for me, going out for a long hike up the sand dunes at sunset after dinner to work off carbs, not going out with friends to eat without a boiled egg and string cheese in my purse to avoid eating starchy foods,...... All these efforts take time and planning, but life can still be enjoyable. In fact, I feel compulsive, but my doctor says I am just being ealistic and careful. Believe me it is not fun, or easy.

My friends who do take the "easy" route of never testing, eating whatever they want, missing doctor appointments, having "non-compliant" written on their medical records, and having ever increasing insulin and meds, think they are refusing to let the disease bother them and enjoying life as long as they can without even thinking about it. Time will tell.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

brunosbud responded:
I kinda of giggle and snicker at those that throw terms like "take good care" or "gain control". Diabetics don't live in a bubble. Diabetics have families, obligations and relationships to protect. Good or bad, these factors greatly influence our decisions on how we self-treat our condition. Here's one example...

In 2011, my father (87) asked me to help him die. He and my mother courageously battled his Parkinson's disease and Type 2 Diabetes for over 25 years. They were inseparable and worked as one. One night, momma (90) hurt her knee helping my pop out of bed so he could pee. That was the last draw...He called me the next morning, instructed me to promise him to take "good care" of mom, then, never took another insulin shot or saw another doctor, again. He did it for her. I set up the hospice, 3 weeks, later. At peace with his life and his decision, he quietly passed in the night, family at bedside, less than 2 months after my father's amazing request...

It's been 2 years, since, and there isn't a day that goes by that my mom and and I don't talk about him. Despite moving on with her life, she tells me all the time how anxious she is for their "reunion"...She's practically giddy about the event; she can't wait! I have Type 2 diabetes, too. But, by taking the pages right out of my dad's playbook, I know what I need to do to live with this disease. Even after death, I still follow his lead. This is my father's "legacy". I've learned, first hand, that a life never ends. In other words, passion, effort, love and respect matter. Our kids, are parents, our families and friends are watching our every move and taking notes. Everyone can and, most probably will, remember our nature, our courage and our deeds.

Do people bring diabetes on "themselves"? I suppose some do and some don't...

...But, who gives a $#*!? How is it relevant?

You are absolutely correct; Each body is different...
And, each person has different motivations and obligations...
And, each feels differently about the people who inhabit their lives...
In other words, Diabetes is a disease that descends and impacts entire families, entire communities.

Please don't feel that I resent or object to your feelings; I just don't understand why you (or anyone else for that matter) care. I can empathize with your hardships and fears and I applaud your courage and believe you're doing all you can do with the resources afforded you. Plus, you've introduced a very important and thought-provoking subject and I'm grateful that you did. So, please, keep posting and good luck, Safronia2010!

In closing, we're caregiving my mother (90) and my wife's grandmother (98). In two weeks, I'm moving my daughter (24) and her boyfriend (25) into my mom and dad's old house, so they can be closer to their new jobs. I've walked a minimum of 42 miles/week for the last 5 years and I'll gladly walk more if need be. For me, "legacy" has become very important...and, I still have a lot of work to do to complete mine.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.