Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High sugar
willfer posted:
I awoke during the night not feeling well took my sugar reading which was 232. How can I get it down immediately.

An_251837 responded:
The best way to quickly reduce sugar readings would probably be exercise, drinking lots of water and taking your medication.

You need to discuss this with your doctor asap and change your lifestyle. Your diabetes is not in control.

auriga1 responded:
Willfer, water will help bring down your sugar level somewhat. I know it's scary when your sugar goes higher than the norm.

A reading of 232 is not considered an emergency, but it is high. I had a sugar reading of 435 two hours after breakfast one time. No telling what it was an hour earlier. They told me to dring water, but it only came down into the 300's. I had to go to the ER for insulin because all the water I was drinking wasn't helping quick enough. There is really nothing that will get your sugar down immediately except for a rapid-acting insulin.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.