Skip to content
Type 2 Diabetes problems since Total Colectomy
miajeanne posted:
had a total Colectomy last December. If you dont know what that is it is a total removal of large colon and rectum due to crohn's disease. before that I was taking 20 units of lantus and 1,000 mg metformin 2/day. my A1C was 6.1 and we were discussing getting off insulin. after the surgery my A1C has been as high as 9.0 and i am currently now taking Lantus 2/day at 40units and on novolog 3/day at 20 units. my numbers are consistently around 250. i have even started exercising daily and watching my carb count (30/day). still nothing is better. i am wondering if anyone else has had such changes after this type of surgery? my endo hasn't found a reason why, but i dont want to keep raising my medicine. i feel like i'm just not absorbing it normally anymore.please reply back if you have any advice. im desperate. thank you for your time. God Bless --- mia

debs_bears responded:
Mia so when they removed your colon and rectum they gave you an ileostomy? If they did we don't absorb vitamins or minerals - that is why we have to watch everything we eat and the amounts.

March 2010 I was finally off my diabetes meds prior to my surgery. My A1c prior to surgery was 5.8. I had a sub total colectomy May 2010 where they removed all but 10" of my colon. My eating changed drastically for the good or better than before.

Fast forward to July 10th this year - I ended up with an ileostomy. Now I am even more concerned as I can only minimal amounts of food - no fiber - no seeds - no salads or greens - basically foods that diabetics need to control our sugars and unlike you my A1c has gone down it is now 5.1.

Has anyone given you anything as to why your numbers are going up? Have they checked your pancreas to see if you are producing any insulin on your own?

babyhueyx responded:
I am a retired physician with a history of right hemi-colectomy. I suspect that my surgery played a role in my development of Type-II diabetes as GLP-1 (glucagon like peptide-1) is produced in the distal small intestine and colon. For the first time I now have excellent control of my diabetes with the use of Victoza, a GLP-1 analog.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.