Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gastric bypass surgery
NightnGail posted:
I am fascinated by the medical/big pharm communities failure to discuss/promote gastric bypass surgery. I had the procedure in June of 2012. I have normal blood sugars and A1C; I am off all diabetic meds and many others. Weight loss of 80 lbs. back to weight of 50 years ago! For me, this has been a major change worthy of support from any quality physician, but I am aware of real reticence/blockage from the medical community. Alarming!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel responded:
I am alarmed that you do not understand why people are hesitant to have a highly risky, very major complex surgery that permanently changes the natural digestive process in the human body. Gastric bypass surgery is a very drastic approach to controlling diabetes. I fully understand the benefits and have been considering and researching bariatric surgery for years. It is not a decision anyone should come to quickly.

You are fortunate that your surgery was a success. Not everyone enjoys the same results as you do. Many people experience serious consequences, even death. Many people also gain back all the weight plus even more.

There is no "one size fits all" approach for any health condition, especially diabetes. Everyone is an individual and needs treatment that is unique to them. Controlling diabetes involves a lifestyle change. You have chosen a method where your lifestyle was changed by force. Others control their diabetes through research and making wise choices regarding diet and exercise. You need to be more open minded and understand that while you enjoy success from gastric bypass surgery, there are those who may not and have not.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrscora01 responded:
Here's a study that suggest that 35% of people with diabetes who have remission of it with the surgery, relapse by the 5 year mark. It's not a "cure".

http://www.gastroendonews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=From%2Bthe%2BLiterature&d_id=186&i=July 2013&i_id=975&a_id=23614
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

brunosbud responded:
You need to do more research...

Anon_320 responded:
I've read and heard about it a lot, just in looking at my normal news web sites and reading magazines. I don't know why you wouldn't have, too. There's no big conspiracy to keep it secret.

Ditto everything davedsel said.

NightnGail replied to davedsel's response:
Dave, you are commenting on something I did not say. At all. You also apparently have idea what is involved in a competent gastric bypass program. I suggest you find out.

NightnGail replied to mrscora01's response:
Did I even suggest it was a cure? Of course not. Is self-discipline always a requirement? Of course it is.

NightnGail replied to Anon_320's response:
My statement stands. This approach gets no promo/support from the medical/pharma fields. Only a few articles from the media. Didn't say anything about a conspiracy, either.

NightnGail replied to brunosbud's response:
How did you come to that conclusion? Certain inky not from my comment.

NightnGail responded:
Now my fascination is the way people don't read and jump to unsupported conclusions and opinions. Wow!

NightnGail replied to mrscora01's response:
And how many are still diabetic and/or obese who didn't have the gastric bypass? The preconditions are not new. So what does this superficial study tell us about the physicians and patients reported?

mrscora01 replied to NightnGail's response:
NightnGail, you seem really passionate about your viewpoint that it is not promoted and that there is nothing to worry about. Please, at least, allow people to have their own opinions without being aggressive.
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo replied to mrscora01's response:
It is interesting how many times this procedure comes up in threads here. Most of us realize that the procedure does reverse the symptoms of T2 for the recipients, and that a large majority of those folks reacquaint themselves with the disease within 5 years. Knowing this, and realizing that the procedure means major lifestyle change for a lifetime is not enough. People always seem to relapse with small beginnings that lead to old ways. My example is the person that says "Oh I have been good all week, so today I'll have that piece of 7 layer German Chocolate cake with you, but only if we split it". Then 6 months later it was so good they have a whole piece to themselves. I for one, know how weak I am, so I don't allow even a piece, occasionally a bite. However, since being without sweets for 3 years now, most of them taste like soap. Point being you really have to want to stay away from the starches and extra post meal foods that we are so used to. You have to skip the bagels and the donuts, the danish pastries and the loaded potatoes if you want to keep T2 in check. It is really tough, and why so many people, bypass or not end up on meds and eventually insulin.

brunosbud replied to NightnGail's response:
I came to that conclusion from research and personal experience. The treatment of Obesity and T2Diabetes requires altering the way you live in a manner that allows your body to stop attacking itself and destroying vital systems. Physicians authorize this surgery to save lives. Your drs reached the conclusion that you were unable to do this for yourself, therefore, this "last resort" measure was taken. It worked! I'm glad for you!

On a side note, I find it interesting that you found fault, not just in mine, but all the responses. Why so? Consider...
  • You invited us "in"...
  • We accepted and bought "presents"...
  • They were not to your liking, and, now...
  • You've kicked us out and claim all the guests "illiterate".

Every thread on a community board is an invitation to a party. ...Do all your parties end this way?

btw, here's a thread that might be helpful. I wish you well. Good luck.
http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-exchange/forum/845?pg=1

NightnGail replied to brunosbud's response:
None of the responses I received were applicable to my comment. Instead, I was the one attacked and criticized for issues not present in my comment. BTW weight loss would not have solved my problem. Only gastric bypass, not even a lap band, was applicable. And I didn't "throw out" anyone, just stood up to those who mispresented what I said. Don't see any "presents". My words and thought are clear. And, no, this was a unique experience. So thanks, at 73 I don't have too many of those. I came for info, not to be treated as an uniformed cretin. I only made an observation. Still happy to hear responses appropriate to that observation.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.