GLYBURIDE NOW CONSIDERED HIGH RISK DRUG!!
jasononsweets posted:
I have been taking Glyburide/ Metformin for many many years as it is the Generic for GLUCOVANCE, When I went to get a refill today my Pharmacy said it was rejected by the insurance company as a HIGH RISK DRUG. Good grief... after 16 years it is now high risk? I was told I could noe take Glipizide (sic) and Metformin but would have to get it sent in by my doctor and it would take 3 days for the new drug to get approval by the company and my pharmacy does not have it in stock. What a bunch of BS... it took 16 years to find it a high risk. I never had any problems. I'm writing this to inform any others taking Glyburide of the high risk.... what do you think?

davedsel responded:
I just had my script for Glyburide refilled without problem. I searched the internet and could not find hard evidence that supports what your pharmacist said. Your wisest course of action would be to discuss this with your doctor.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

jasononsweets replied to davedsel's response:
It was my insurance company (BRAVO) that denied the drug as a high risk. I contacted my doctor and he is switching me over to Glipizide/Metformin but not sure if my pharmacy carries this combo. I also did an internet search and found nothing but the insurance company wouldn't lie... would they?

Anon_74671 responded:
big article right on webmd's front page
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20130926/common-diabetes-drugs-may-carry-risk-study-suggests?src=RSS_PUBLIC

undefined responded:
I had the same problem with HealthNet. I think it is really because of the cost of the drug.

max9821 responded:
Sulfonylureas have had the warning in heavy print on the box twenty years ago. At least on the box the pharmacist has. They were in use twenty years ago but when they caused problems they fell out of favor. Especially when metformin became available. Slowly they were reintroduced. But they haven't become less risky. There are several diabetes drugs on the market such as Avandia and Januvia and others which cause heart problems but evidently are still prescribed. Pharmacies give out a sheet with warnings and possible side effects--at least some like wal mart do. Glyburide has always been a high risk drug but now your insurer has decided it won't pay for it. Nothing has changed as far as the drug is concerned.

Get yourself a paper back copy of the physicians desk reference which is often sold in pharmacies, and keep it current. You can probably find side effects of the drugs you are taking. I have never had a doctor discuss the side effects of the meds he prescribes but all drugs have them.

dolores