Skip to content
Walking for diabetes
Sunshine_MTN posted:
When a person has diabetes how long should you walk or just exercise with gym equipment to help with diabetes? I need to get diabetes under control I am on 2 different oral pills a day I am learning foods to eat and bought a crap load of gym things plus need to loose weight but am limited to how much I can do cause of back troubles I can't stand but maybe 3 to 5 minutes a at time then there are days I can 10 to 15 minutes that's why I bought exercise equipment to set on as well as the stand up things alone with weights all in one gym set. I am determined to beet diabetes and loose weight like my brother in law did but he only road a stationary bike and changed his way of eating that's it but I need to loose weight gain muscle and deal with diabetes. Any Idea's for how much exercise I should do a day or 5 times week or how? God Bless you all.

brunosbud responded:
"...but he only road a stationary bike and changed his way of eating..." Do you think that's easy? That's exactly what I did and what you should do, too, especially, considering your present physical state.

Sunshine_MTN replied to brunosbud's response:
I wasn't meaning it wasn't easy I know I have lost weight in my past 90lbs in 3mths back when I was younger, but I was put on steroids for over a year and gained over 140lbs then lost it again yes I know it's not easy, but he said it's not that bad cause he still ate good just road his bike 30min 3 times a day. I was just asking how many times a person should do this he started riding his when he first found out and turned it around plus cinnamon pills daily. I know it's not easy you took it wrong and I'm sorry you took it wrong when I said he just road bike cause he tells me I don't have to work out like I hope to do just ride bike I told him I need to tone as I loose weight this time like I did the last 2 times I've lost weight just this time I have more health problems than back then. Sorry you took what I said wrong it wasn't like you took it forgive me brunobud. Have a great day.

brunosbud replied to Sunshine_MTN's response:
I didn't take it the wrong way, Sunshine_MTN. You took what I said the wrong way! Your B-I-L has learned a very important lesson and he's trying, hard, to share it.

It's not your body that needs changing. It has zero to do with what you bought on HSN at 3AM. Overhauling a diet and riding a bike, three times a day, is about a person, finally, listening to their body and doing what feels good. I simply wrote what I wrote because I, too, have experienced the same epiphany as your B-I-L...I can relate. I know precisely how your B-I-L feels about himself and the people he cares about...&, also, how desperately he wants others to listen.

I truly believe, our bodies are walking "Billboards" of how we think, what we believe to be "healthy" and how much we respect ourselves and, as a result, the people we love. We can (& do) put on a "happy face" even when we are suffering, inside, but our bodies can't hide the truth. Proper diet and hard work, works. There are a million interpretations of what that means. Our bodies are the mirror of how close we've got "it" right. Look at your B-I-L.

I don't take drugs to "control" anything, I don't eat at restaurants, I haven't eaten a frozen dinner in years, I walk 6 miles, everyday, for the same reason you brother rides his bike like a lunatic...

We're just following orders.

flutetooter responded:
Sunshine, I have found that what I eat makes more difference than how much I exercise. I have read many places that weight loss is 80% diet (both less calories and more non-starchy vegetables) and only 20% exercise. Remember that in order to keep a weight loss over the years, a person must pick a plan that he/she can continue indefinitely. All that heavy duty exercise equipment may injure your body more than help it, where as a regular diet of low glycemic carbohydrates that contain less sugar/carbs per amount, and get absorbed by your blood stream more slowly thus preventing spikes/highs, can be maintained your whole life. Those kinds of foods are generally higher in vitamins and other nutrients than starchy foods and pasta, and cereals. Even when you are ill or have a muscle pull, etc., you can still follow a good eating plan.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
Sunshine, it's very different for everyone, with or without diabetes.

If you look to the right of this forum, our expert, Dr. Michael Dansinger recommends exercising 7 1/2 hours a week doing a variety of things. Some sort of aerobic activity such as walking or doing the stationary bike. I understand the back problem situation. It's probably best to ease into things and the stationery bike would be best. You can start at 30 minutes but make sure you get your heart rate up from your resting heart rate.

If your stationary bike has controls such as incline, notch it up a bit to increase resistance in your legs. This will work your muscle groups helping with lowering your glucose. Your muscles use glucose for energy.

The next day use the weights. Don't overdo things because you will not want to do it the next day. Alternate an aerobic activity and weight activity, i.e., aerobic one day, weight the next. Baby steps. When one wants to lose weight, the inclination is to do as much as possible as soon as possible. You can hurt yourself this way.

Don't worry if you can't do 7 1/2 hours a week if you are just starting. We all start somewhere. I am physically active five days a week, four hours a day. This is my job and it has helped my diabetes immensely.

I never had a weight problem but still have diabetes. The only time I had excess weight is when I had my kids. I did get on my bike almost daily and added a baby seat so I could take my kids for a ride. This added weight added resistance to the ride. I also cut down on caloric intake (nothing drastic, just a little less.) With the exercise and reduced caloric intake, I lost the weight.

As I said, everone is different. It may take you longer to lose the weight you want or vice versa. The point is to remain consistent.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Sunshine_MTN replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you auriga1. I have lost weight in the past but since all the health problems and put on meds that made me gain 140 pounds it has really got me down. I went Tuesday for 6 nerve block injections and trying to recover over those as well I truly pray they help me. My doctor has advised me not to over do things (I want) but I do want to loose weight as well as help the diabetes A1c level to go down. When I lost weight before I had close friends that inspired me helped me a lot, but now that I'm saved (gave my life to the Lord) I don't have any true friends I hang with or visit yes I have my church family I go to church with, but I don't go visit any of them or they don't me so I don't have anyone to help me (as I did before loosing weight) I will do this I know with Gods help. Thank you and I will do as you said. God Bless You.

Sunshine_MTN replied to flutetooter's response:
flutetoote, Thank you I did loose weight once before I know I need to read more of the healthy foods for diabetes I was size 6 when my doctor put me on meds that made me gain 140 pounds and then I just felt helpless cause I was in critical shape with health problems and couldn't even dress myself or even feed myself I was in server pain all day long that's when the meds come and gained weight but now I'm off that med and still can't stand long at a time I just had Tuesday 6 nerve block injections in my spine I hope it helps me to walk some on my new treadmill I am going to start off slow so I can strengthen my back. I'm going to eat better as well like I once did when I didn't have diabetes. Thank you for your post. I have bought books (diabetic ways to eat) plus it tells what each food does for your body and tells if it's good for cancer, ulcers, kidney stones and so on. I hope it helps me with great ideas how to eat healthy and feed my family healthy to help them with there health problems. I can do this I know with Gods help. Thank you and God Bless

betatoo responded:
Appropriate moderation at any fitness level is important. What I mean by this is you need to do what you can, as often as you can. If you can only walk for 5-10 minutes at a time, do it, and then after a break, do it again, even if the next time you can only do 3-5 minutes. The military used to use an interval training program of running for 25paces, then walking 25 repeated for 30 minutes. What you would be doing is a variation of that in ways walk for so many paces, sit and rest the same amount of time or so.
I am in pretty good shape for a T2 as I bike, kayak, bowl, and walk every week in the good months. I also do push ups, side plank dips, and pull ups/chin ups every other night before bed. However, even I at times forget the rule "appropriate moderation". I doubled my pull up/chin ups from 20 to 40. After two weeks, I strained on the last chin up and herniated a disc that set me back for 5 months. So as I say, appropriate moderation!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.