Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High blood glucose numbers due to cortisone shot
An_253729 posted:
I had a cortisone shot in my right knee this afternoon. When I checked my numbers at dinnertime they were up over 300. I take Novolog and took 4 extra units. My head is pounding and I feel terrible. Anyone else ever experience this. What other symtoms should I expect? Any information would be very much appreciated.

adaptomom responded:
I had a cortisone shot in my elbow last May and did it as a last resort, having heard that cortisone raises blood sugar levels. I did not experience any measurable increase in levels, but I believe that is the exception rather than the rule. The elevation is supposed to be temporary (a few days, I was told) but over 300 is a definite reason to call your doctor, especially if you have physical symptoms. Please do yourself a favor and let your doctor know about this.

laura2gemini2 responded:
I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder last week (the 2nd one I've had). Both times my sugars did go up for about 3 days, then get back to normal. I adjusted my basal insulin to compensate, and drank plenty of fluids.

Cortisone always makes me feel bad the day of and the next day after the injection. This time I was laughing and crying and throwing things all at the same time. Hope yours goes better!

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.