Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
prediabetes confused
peggywaddell posted:
this confusion seems to get worse everyday...told i am prediabetic...got my first meter with alot of low numbers...new one today in 2 mins between the two i get a 68 vs an 89! how is this and how do i know what to believe? Please,Please Help ASAP!!!

peggywaddell responded:
also was wondering since i am only prediabetic,is the a1c and glucose drink test alot more accurate than in home testing?

An_251837 replied to peggywaddell's response:
Please do not expect replies "ASAP" in any WebMD community. These are message boards, not chat rooms, and are not frequently visited - especially on weekends.

Numbers can definitely vary that much between meters. The three tests you mention in your second post look for different aspects and can not truly be compared with each other.

If you can not ask your doctor these questions, then look into seeing a Certified Diabetic Educator, nutritionist or dietician.

feelinghigh responded:
Yes, numbers can vary between meters. FYI... temperature affects test strips and meters.

Do you know about the campaign that's going on called StripSafely? It's pushing for more accurate Test Strips. Test strips are supposed to be /- 20% accuracy. But, not all are. And, the campaign is pushing to correct this.

auriga1 replied to feelinghigh's response:
It took them all this time to figure that out? I'll be part of that campaign seeing that I have to dose my insulin with those test strip readings.

I have been lucky with my meters in that all of them are within two or three numbers of each other.

brunosbud responded:
It's not the the exact measure of my blood glucose that's my main concern. Same goes for my blood pressure...it fluctuates, minute by minute, throughout the day. I use my glucometer to learn what factors and influences allow my blood sugar to stay in balance and, conversely, what sends it to kingdom come. By knowing and understanding the relative difference between readings can you learn how to "control" your blood sugar and avoid injury to your body.

High or low, a single reading of blood sugar is absolutely meaningless to me.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.