Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Help Required
Shardaas posted:
Dear Sir/Madam,

My husband was diagnosed with diabetes around 6 months ago. His A1C reading was 7.2. The doctor said it was very high and prescribed him Metformin HCL. I asked him to change his lifestyle. From the day he was diagnosed he has started exercising in elliptical for an average around 55 minutes at level 14. He also reduced his calorie intake by like 1000 calories. He has lost 13 pounds. My husband is 6 foot 8 inches tall. And he weighs 270 lbs.

When the doctor diagnosed him he was very determined to reduce his A1C. So we bought a A1C machine. But today we checked his A1C and its has not reduced by even a point. We checked his A1C in August middle and found it to be 6.6 and today we checked it again. It remains the same.

For the past two months his fasting blood sugar has stayed with 110mg/dl. Two to two and half hours after lunch and dinner his sugar always stayed less than 150mg/dl.

Could you please tell me why his A1C has not reduced? My second question is I was told by the doctor that his fasting blood sugar should be less than 100mg/dl but even though he lost his weight and is eating healthy it stays within 110 does not come below 100. Why is that?

Thank you for your help

Yours Sincerely,
Gayathri

flutetooter responded:
Congratulations to your husband, and to you for your support, for your positive progress in dealing with diabetes!

For starters, the home A1c kits as very handy for checking up on your progress between doctor's visits, but will probably not be as accurate as lab blood test drawn from the arm rather than from a drop of finger blood. I do use the home kits also.

His 7.2 reading indicated an AVERAGE blood sugar (fasting-immediately after heavy meals) over the past 3 months of 179! Most of the diabetes complication begin well before this level of sugar in the blood! His home test of 6.6 indicates still an average sugar level of 158, which still may contribute to complications. His choices (with his doctor's knowledge and permission) are mainly twofold: to continue eating the amount of grams of CARBOHYDRATES he is presently eating (which his pancreas insulin cannot handle) and take increasingly more meds and/or insulin shots; OR to cut back significantly on the amount of carbohydrates he is eating. He may need to do both choices at the same time until his sugar levels are low enough. Many of the meds prescribed actually cause the pancreas to secrete more and more insulin, which eventually burns up the pancreas.

His exercise is commendable. Keep it up! If the elliptical gets to be too much, or on days when he is not feeling up to par, then substitute less strenous options such as long walks, especially after an evening meal where those carbs are not used up and add to his blood sugar levels. In any case, it is good to walk after a meal even with his more strenuous work outs.

Concerning eating, avoid white starchy grains and vegetables such as potatoes, rice, desserts, breads, pasta. Check your diabetes info on the web for low carb eating. Only 20% of weight loss is exercise, with 80% is your eating plan.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
I wouldn't worry too much about your husband's a.m. fasting number. The base line used to be 70-110. That's what my doctor told me.

What is more telling is what his blood sugar reading is two hours after a meal. He should take his blood sugar exactly two hours after he has taken his first bite of food. This way he can see what foods may be affecting his glucose levels. His blood sugar two hours after a meal should be under 140.

I understand he has cut calories in order to lose weight. What your husband should know is how many carbs he should eat per meal. If he was given a number, he should stick to that. All the foods we eat have carbs in them exept for our proteins and fats.

Your husband is doing very well by being so pro-active. That's wonderful.

See if your husband will do a little experiment for about a week. Have him test two hours after each meal. I had to do this per my doctor's orders because my A1C was 13.2 at diagnosis.

His A1C might not be budging because of food choices, maybe too many carbs. Caloric content is not as important as carb content when it comes to diabetes.

Wishing him luck. Let us know how he's doing.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.