Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Brittle diabetes
Prc1553 posted:
I am having trouble finding info on. Brittle diabetes.. Is there anyone who can explain what the phrase means ans how it impacts the disease. Thanks for whatever help you can provide

davedsel responded:
Hello.

I used Yahoo and did a search using the phrase "brittle diabetes". I got many hits.

Here is a link to the first hit I got that seems to be a good article on the subject: http://diabetes.about.com/od/preventingcomplications/a/brittle.htm
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrscora01 responded:
"Brittle" diabetes is an old school term and used to be used by every doc if they saw a single high random number. It developed a bit into meaning unexplained fluctuations in blood glucose. But again, back in the days of R and Nph insulins, no carb counting, and no glucose meters, only readable sticks with ranges, a lot of stuff was unexplainable.

There are a very rare few that are truly brittle, but in the majority of cases you can figure out why you went high or low. This could be inaccurate carb counting, wrong insulin to carb ratio, bad basal rates, ambient temperatures, your mood (when I was happy as a kid I would go extremely low), hormones, and a ton of other stuff.

But the word exists even to this day by doctors that don't really know what it means.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

flutetooter responded:
In the article mentioned in davedsel's reply post, the words "neglect self care of diabetes" as a prominent cause of the old fashioned words "brittle diabetic". A neighbor of mine long ago was labeled "brittle" which meant her numbers were up and down all over the place and she was carted off to the hospital in near comas often.

It would help us to explaine more if you could say who used those words and what under circumstances they were applied to a person. Most people who educate themselves on diabetes and have up-to-date medical care, can match their carbohydrate(sugar) intake to the medicine amounts and avoid this dangerous condition.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.