Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Quick balanced snack
flutetooter posted:
To help keep my bs even I snack often with a balance of about 9 grams of a carb (such as half a fruit), about 1 oz. of protein such as an egg or 1 ounce of cheese, and a little good fat such as a few walnut halves or almonds. My latest invention is about 1/2 cup any kind of premade slaw, mixed in with 1/4 cup of Greek unflavored % fat yogurt (for protein), and about 1 tablespoon of crumbled blue cheese.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo responded:
I also agree with the balanced snack idea. I often have a small apple, or half of a pear with a slice of good cheese, and even a little nuts. I think the Romans had the thing with fruit and cheeses centuries back. Some of the old standards made sense. Like your slaw idea, the yogurt has a bit of creamy bitter taste that would go well with the blue cheese.

I have of late been reading a book by Rob Thompson the disputes the 8 glasses of water a day claim. He says that normally if eating a high veggie diet, that you really don't need the water, most veggies are 90% water. He claims that the carbs make us want water, but that a diet balanced with meat, veggies and healthy starches, does not need all that water. I have found that I really don't need to drink as much as I used to, even before the diagnosis.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.