New to type 2 less than 8 months have spent 2 months in hospital
An_253855 posted:
was diagnosed with type two diabetes 8 months ago while trying to control blood sugar wound up in hospital for two weeks with severe yeast infection i was doing what doc said was still labeled non compliant changed way i eat with dietician and took insulin as directed two months later wound up in hospital again in dka was supposed to see doctor next day due to blood sugar went to 300 but by midnight was 670 and that was after insulin dosage sprnt 4 days in icu on a insulin drip they said my insulin wasnt right one for me and i did everything i was told still got labeled as non compliant diabetic since have changed doctors and doing well sugars staying normal on new meds but im looking for information on diabetes now as i do not want to go thru this again almost died twice doctors were amazed i walked into er both times my wife is very suppotive and keeps me on track we want to know all there is about this disease we have done alot of online research and it looks like all websites just cut paste reword things alittle say the same thing very little difference and very little information you can only spend so much time with doctors and nutricianists and phanlets they give you are useless lookinh for a good site, book that details my monster i want to understand it better and see others stories to relate to this website has been good but its limited im not in a city or near one i live in the country so no support groups i can easily financialy timely get two sso looking on webv for that or how to start one
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mrscora01 responded:
Have you been tested for type 1? Sometimes this gets left by the wayside and you end up in trouble because you should be on an insulin regime. Are you still on insulin? The best books to get are "Think Like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin". They will help you control your own diabetes rather than constantly having to run to the doc - who doesn't know you as well as you do.

In the meantime, most of us find that the amount of carbohydrate prescribed by dietitians is too much for us. Eat to your meter - this means that you eat a known amount of carb and test at the 2 hour mark. If you are too high, eat less or cut out that food.

Do you have specific questions? Feel free to ask.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo responded:
So many of us here have gone through much in the search for understanding to control this disease. In the end many of us have found that limiting starches is the best way to go. I myself consider my condition starch intolerant. I am not talking carbohydrates here, but more on the line of potatoes, breads, and other foods that are really concentrated amounts of carbohydrate that go to glucose once hitting the system. This has meant that I not eat immense amounts of vegetables, lots of salads, mixed veggies and lean proteins at every meal. I snack on nuts and fruit. Desserts-I pretty much forget them unless it is a dish of mixed berries with unsweetened whip cream. I haven't had a cookie in over 3 years now, replacing these with low carb Atkins type snack bars for hiking, kayaking, and biking. I have one piece of dark chocolate every day to help with a bit of choco craving.
I exercise every day, some days for 3-4 hours in a kayak. Most days though I get in a mixed hour of walking, pull ups, side planks and chin ups and side plank dips. Other days I work out on a total gym or work in my pot shop working with 25# bags of clay. I am lucky as I am retired as of 2009 so I have the time to do these things. It all takes determination and realization that the alternative is far worse.
Presently, I weigh in around 148, down from a high of 170 when diagnosed. Have a 30 inch waist and am 5'9". Most of it anymore is muscle, and I am in better shape than I have been in years at 64.

Brinerlady responded:
Basically, I started out similar to you. I had an appointment with my regular doctor with a month wait. I told the office girl I was very sick and couldn't wait that long. I was going to have my mamogram and I could have the lab work done there to help the situation along. She agreed and I had my fasting draw then. Well, after I was finished with my mamo the nurse came in and said I had to report to my doctor immediately, which I did. My reading was close to 400, normal being 80 - 130. PLus I was dehydrated, very weak, and my husband had to drive me, as my vision had gone downhill. I was put in the hospital immediately and started on insulin and Metformin. The nurse took my BG reading about every hour, round the clock. The next day I was coming around nicely. That was a year and a half ago. I went to Diabetes classes that the hospital offered and insurance paid for. That is a life saver, a must do!! I was taught how to eat, what to eat, and stressed excersize being a must. You eat using the carbohydrate system.
My educator said I could have 45 - 60 carbs PER MEAL.
And to this day I stick to that amount. My Metformin is 500mg tablet, taking one with breakfast, one-half tablet with lunch, and 1 tablet with supper. I am on insulin, LANTIS SOLOSTAR, which is a pen-type that comes pre-filled with 100 units. You dial what you have been perscribed by your doctor and poke it in to your abdomen. Painless!! I started out with 25 units and have decreased down to between 5 - 10 units, along with my Metformin. I just had my A1C and I was 5.7 with a average glucose of 117. Beautiful. I cheat once in a while, like everybody does I'm sure, but I'm always where I want to be. I try to test at the same times and keep a record in a lined tablet. I put down the day--the date--the time--the test results--insulin used at night and a column along side of this for comments. If I was a little high, I say we went out to eat and I had a big baked potato. I need to know why I was over my high end. I have done this since day one and continue to this day. When I go for my 6 month check up, I take copies of my ledger along with me. I test in the morning BEFORE I eat or have coffee. Test at night before I go to bed, around 7:30pm. I have maintained a very good syatem for me and if you follow what I have written here, I think you can also. Realize that breads, pastas, STARCHES turn to sugars so you have to try and avoid those. Get the book called CALORIE KING. This gives you the carbs, calories, fats & everything you need to know for every food, drink, snack and everything else. It has every restaurant and every meal they serve and the calories, fat, carbohydrates etc. This book will remain your Bible. I keep one in the car and one in the house. You want to eat using the carbohydrate counts. And watch where it says SERVING AMOUNT. If your carbs are 20 and the serving is three, good. That tells you each serving is about 7 grams.But if the carbs are 20 and the servings are 1, that means each serving is 20!! Watch that carefully. Shop watching the carbohydrates on the labels. If they are too high, PUT IT BACK ON THE SHELF!!!!!!!!! It's really not that bad if you do this thing right. You get used to doing the eating a different way and it's really OK>>>I use Splenda for a sweetener, my choice, and it is better than sugar was. You need to eat proteins some of which are meats. One slice of bread we count as 15 grams. One part of a bun we count as 20 grams. The meat is a free item, no carbs. So if you have a hamburger on a bun, the carbs would be 40. That leaves you with 20 grams left in your 45 - 60 grams per meal. Not too bad, huh! Now that isn't counting the calories, just carbs. I hope this has helped you some. Please try what I have said, ask you doctor for Metformin and see if Lantis Solostar is ok for you. You did not say what meds you are on right now. What are you taking? Good luck on your journey. Keep in touch!!

brunosbud responded:
Each person has a different way...

Diabetes does not kill on it's own. It does it through high blood pressure. It does it through clogging of the arteries. It does it through chronic inflammation that results in tumor development or heart disease. It does it through nervous tissue destruction via diabetic blindness, neuropathy to the extremities. It shuts down your liver and kidneys.

There's one treatment that works for all these conditions: Exercise. Exercise is effective in lowering blood glucose...Hypertension...High cholesterol...osteoporosis...low testosterone...hypothyroidism...osteoarthritis...obesity...
Some (if not all) of these things conspired to put you in the hospital, recently. It was not because your blood sugar was high. It was the complications caused by diabetes that almost killed you.

You've walked around, probably, years with high blood sugar but you were clueless. Only now are you aware because chronic high blood sugar has advanced these complications to the point where it's got your attention. Exercise, along with a overhaul in diet, can not only stop, it can actually "reverse" the progress of these complications! It's within everyone's grasp to feel 10-20 years, younger.

You will get lots of advice on what to eat and that's your main concern. I understand. You have to learn what works for you...Eat this, don't eat that. Take this vitamin, don't take too much though. This supplement works, but that one will damage your kidneys, etc., etc, etc, etc.

But, for me, there's one thing I can do that I know is good for my diabetes. I can do it whenever, wherever I want. And, everytime I do it, I know that's one nerve I've saved or one blood vessel that's less clogged. I take a brisk walk. From my observation, that's the single biggest issue with uncontrolled diabetics. They don't move enough. Read all the books on diabetes you want, but, for me, "eat sensibly and move around the clock". A scale, a blood pressure monitor, a glucometer and my trail runners is pretty much the extent of my diabetes reading, these days...

betatoo replied to Brinerlady's response:
Other way to do this is to forget the meds and the starches. It works for me with my numbers in the 5.5 yto 5.8 A1C. It takes determination and as Bruno says exercise is important.

Diabeticdummy replied to mrscora01's response:
have been tested for everything under the sun cat scans mri type 1 type 2 everything tests come back good i just orderd those two books and eager to get them thank you for telling me about them just want to live as long as i can i try to stay away from carbs altogether i can smell a potatoe and bg goes up so i know starches are my enemy

Diabeticdummy replied to betatoo's response:
love nuts ruits and berries never been into candy or donuts, cake, etc. i do love milk and have cut that way back i used to compete in strongman competitions tilll couple 4 yrs ago shattered my hip in an accident couldnt do much didnt walk for 8 months and mmy lifting days went by the wayside i do as much as i can but i am still recovering from anabsecst that was huge i get tired very quickly and now just walking im covered in heavy sweat and can only walk about an hour and im done for about 5 hours and do some more i run a homebased bussiness so i have a free schedule to work with for my health and work my bussiness when im down tired i love my water sports too but with an open wound doctors dont want me in the water so untill thats better i dont swim anymore at the moment i was 300 and built before all this started 8 months ago balloned to 480 in 2 months and was falling asleep talking to people thats what led me to doc and found out i have type 2diab i am on lantus only now 100 units at night was takien off metforman,byetta, this last tie in hospital and they wont put me back on them they say the metformin because of the kidney issue i had at first hospital visit and byetta still dont have a good reason for not continuing that one i took that shot twice daily and sugar stayed more normal and regular but im tryingto learn and take advice from people who have been down this road and going thru what i am exsperiencing its really hard and i am 8 mionths new to this but iappreciate all the qand a on this site ive changed alot of my ways because if what ive read here and how it effected others im finding my way slowly but surely

Diabeticdummy replied to Brinerlady's response:
had a nutricianist but she had so many patients i had 4 visits and all she had time for was 10 min each time i live in a very rual area and do not have many choices out here doctor is hour away the local doc is just an country docand could not provide me with the care i need now so im learning to eat all over again and i try to stay far from carbs

Brinerlady replied to betatoo's response:
I just had my 6 month check up on Monday and my A1C was 5.7 and my average blood glucose was 117. I will keep up with what I am doing because this is a very good result. I will keep up with my meds as they are. I'm happy for you if you can forget your meds. You are just lucky.

betatoo replied to Brinerlady's response:
Your numbers are great, keep up the good work.

I do not assume that I will always be without medication. I only assume that this disease is never gone. So I work hard at trying to stay off of medication as long as I can. I have never been one to take very much in the way of medication unless really necessary, but when/if numbers become uncontrollable that will remain an option

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
I tried metformin for about 2 mos. very recently, and had to discontinue it with my doctor's permission. I thought it might help even out the small rises and drops in blood sugar which bothered me, because my brain was feeling them. Maybe it did, but it also removed my "radar" as to which foods and exactly how much is "too much" that I got previously when my blood sugar would change very soon after the foods were eaten, or the exercise began. Now I'm back incontrol of my own numbers and eating plans. BTW, my 14 day fasting glucose average without any meds is 85, and my 30 day is 86.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Good job. I don't test, but numbers at Dr. office stay good. I will be seeing him again in two weeks.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
After reading a previous reply of yours, that you don't test anymore (because of constant good numbers), I have tried to gradually be less obsessive, except just before I drive, or go to exercise. I plan the amount of carbs and timings of meals even more carefully and that seems to work.

Note to newbies - don't try this until your blood sugar is in the normal range. My latest A1c was 5.9. Reading the amounts of carbs per meal allowed by most dieticians mentioned on this site just blows my mind. If I ate 45-60 grams of carbs per meal, I would be in the full blown diabetic rangte of over 250 after each meal. I know that because it happened. That is why I limit my carbs to only 15-20 per meal and 10 per snack. It is either drugs or a low carb diet for me to control my numbers. Some people will need both.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Hear you Flute. I don't understand why these dieticians do that. Everyone is so different in how their body reacts to carbs.

The dieticians should look at a patient's history - all of the physician notes from the point of diagnosis. Maybe make another appointment to see how they are doing with eating that amount of carbs. I am happy to say that mine did and reduced that standard of carb amount for me, an individual (not just another diagnosed diabetic.)

My BS would be between 500 and 600 if I ate 60 grams of carbs at one sitting. This just doesn't work for everyone. You now can understand why newly diagnosed patients get frustrated because their numbers are not where they should be.

Thank you for your last statement. I do need both as do others.