Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes Plus Other Ailments
flutetooter posted:
I think the previous post from a newbie got sort of highjacked into other conditions, but I hope that the new diabetic now understands that many of the "oldies" have the same problems with managing the carbs, dealing with doctors, having other conditions that affect their diabetes, hearing conflicting information, and things in general not going the way one hopes for. However, we keep trying,trying, trying.

It seems today that "sugar" is the least of my problems. (Thank you, Auriga, for the funny comment about brains, BTW). A new cardiologist is not happy with my low pulse numbers and wants to install a pacemaker in early Nov. I am hurrying to add insurance to a cruise planned in January, so "existing conditions" are covered. There is a three month moritorium on any exercise that might rip out the leads to the heart -- such a snorkeling, swimming, and swinging off the "pirate/rum" boat on heavy ropes and dropping 16' into the brink. That is actually what I had been working out in the gym to be able to do. I had done it about 10 years ago. I now have to get my doctors talking to eah other, because they don't agree on what is causing my vertigo. Also the national hospital procedure infection rate on pacemakers is a whopping 7 %, of which half of those die. Yikes, 3.5 people out of 100 for a fairly simple procedure. More jokes, Auriga, please.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
So true regarding the "oldies" but "goodies." People are probably asking themselves lots of questions: What did I do wrong? Why me? I had high blood pressure with my last pregnancy and it never went down. Have been taking BP meds since my late 30's. I had no symptoms of diabetes back then and never did. A random BS reading at the doctor's office read 123. I was 132 pounds. Stand 5'9". Should have kept on top of that. When another random test showed 99, doctor said I was doing great. Keep it up. He really didn't think diabetes because I was thin and active. We all dropped the boat on that one.

Obviously, my sugar kept climbing and climbing and me with no symptoms. I paid absolutely no attention.

I'll have arguments at work with the seniors. My place of business considers a "senior" 60 . They have been told by their doctors and nurses that if you can get your BS to 180, you will be fine. 180??? Where are they getting these numbers?

Anywho, yep, your pulse number is really low. I could understand it if you were a distance runner, meaning running long distances seven days a week. This would be a normal pulse.

I'm not a doctor, but I have many relatives that had the low pulse rate and had a pacemaker inserted. My brother being one of them. He had complications from chemotherapy that damaged his heart. So a pacemaker and defibrillator were inserted. Completely understand your concerns regarding infections. It's a risk any one of us has to take. In all seriousness, I would be willing to do so in order to get your heart working properly. Only my opinion, but the combo low blood pressure and low heart rate can be a dangerous thing. Might even help with the vertigo if your heart rate can come up.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row. LOL.

You have a great weekend.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks, Auriga. I have also read that a low diastolic pressure along with a low pulse is not a good thing. The diastolic returns the blood back to the heart and if the pressure is not enough and the heart does not beat very often-- well that would explain the brain feeling like it was not getting enough oxygen. It wasn't! Anyway, I feel better after a return call from my internist's nurse-- that they would get the cardiologist's office notes, and also notes from the neurologist on Monday, and help pool all the info together. Finally I feel more confident that the right decision will be reached. I am also investigation moving our cruise one month farther away to allow for healing.

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Great news, Flute. Right decisions, give you the confidence. Wise choice moving the cruise further away. No chances should be taken with your health. Good luck. Hope you and "them" can get on the right track.

debs_bears responded:
Hi Flute I don't get here much any more since my ileostomy. But anyway I am sorry to hear that you have to have a pace maker.

I wish I had a lower pulse than I do BP is usually 95/60 and pulse is never less than 95 any more but at least I know the reason (Bronchiectasis) a lung disease. A pace maker will not help me.

I will pray that all the insurance things are in order so you can go on yet another cruise. Do you have a date for the surgery?

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Thanks Deb, I have an appointment with my neurologist tomorrow morning. He thinks the vertigo is a classic "silent migraine" response (without the pain), so I will have him add his office notes to the pile that my internist is studying. Also I have recently read that lights, shadows, huge disorganized stores, and a bunch of other seemingly ordinary situations can trigger a vertigo response to persons who are acutely aware of surrounding! Ha! that's me, the artist, photographer, musician - who has to memorize thousands of notes. I'm betting on that, since I can go on long walks in the dunes without getting dizzy.

I think that recent new cardiologist had his mind set on getting a new guinea pig for his research project on a new German pacemaker that is trying to get a human study to get permitted in the U.S. ...As if our REAL ailments aren't enough. I have settled down now into being able to discuss this rationally. I also looked up ALL the available records for doctors in our local cardiology "pool" - NOT impressive. Mostly foreign medical schools. The one I was seeing was not board certified in electrophysiology - the implanting of pacemakers. I think I will go back to the doctor at the University of Chicago Hospitals, even though it is quite a trip.

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
I wish we could recommend doctors here but we can't. I know of an excellent EP doctor as they are called. But if Chicago is to far so would be Waukesha, WI.

Keep us posted so I can pray specifically okay? Deb

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.