Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What are normal blood sugar levels in teenagers?
Runnerxc96 posted:
I'm 17 years old, I'm not overweight but my dad has diabetes. We tested my blood sugar this morning after not eating for about 12 hours and having gone on a run, and it was 133. Is this too high? About a week ago, I got really lightheaded and short of breath so we tested it (about 2 hours after eating) and it was 94. Can anyone tell me what this might mean?

Runnerxc96 responded:
Also, not sure if it makes a difference but I do drink water and pee A LOT and I'm tired a lot but I don't seem to have any of the other symptoms that I've read about.

brunosbud responded:
The key phrase, here, "gone on a run". Sure, you fasted for 12 hours, but by going on that run, you're telling your body, "OK, there's no food in my stomach so, 'liver', can you please dump some glucose into my blood stream so my muscles can absorb it and convert it to energy so I don't fall flat on my face." What you should have done it you want to get a true fasting glucose reading is measure before the run.

I've been working out at 4:30AM for many years. Whenever I test my blood sugar before that early morning workout, it's not uncommon for me to get fasting blood glucose reads as high as 135. In my mind, there's a simple explanation. My body is prepping for the approaching sugar demands during the early morning hours while I sleep. Thus, when the alarm rings at 4:15, I'm wide awake and ready to roll. Most diabetics, here, would freak with fasting numbers like mine. But, my A1C has never been higher than 5.5 for the last 4 years. I've taken several thousand measurements to learn how my body behaves. This is a perfect example of blood sugar measurements discussed without "context". Inexperienced diabetics freak from a single given reading. But, experienced diabetics who understand the relationship between diet, exercise, sleep and, most importantly, ROUTINE, can pretty much predict what their glucometer will say.

Impossible to comment on the "lightheadedness". You provide zero context. Best advice is to see a physician, get a complete physical and work-up so he/she can get a complete picture of your situation.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.