Skip to content
A1C Borderline & Food Intake
AmazingHealth posted:
Hi everybody, it is my first time knowing that 1 have pre-diabetes and of course high cholestrol with bad triglycerides. I never had a A1c test before and always looked at glucose level instead. And coincidentally, the doctor decided to take a full screening and my A1C is at 5.7. Apparently the norm range is 4-5.6. After knowing I am at risk for diabetes, i started eating oatmeal every morning.

I bought the Quaker instant oatmeal and eat every morning. I noticed they sell lots of flavor and I picked the one with the least sugar which is maple & brown syrup. It says it has 1g of sugar in it. And in the ingredient it does not state any sugar word.

Now my question comes to: is it too sweet still? I can smell the maple sweetness form far away. Makes me wonder if this will even help my sugar level??? I know it helps my cholestrol as I used to eat oatmael twice a day and my cholestrol drops drastically. I'm now worried about the sugar stuff.

And I don't drink pop, neither do i eat candies.

Hope to hear from someone.

mrscora01 responded:
You need to count grams of carbohydrate, not grams of sugar. Carbohydrates are turned by the body directly into sugar. Most people with diabetes don't eat oatmeal because it spikes their glucose. My husband had to give it up.

What does it do to your blood sugar (test at the 1 and 2 hour marks)? You will see if you can handle it or not.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo responded:
In my own situation, instant oatmeal would knock my BG out of sight. I do a few eggbeaters with bacon and toast in the mornings. Usually one to two salads a day, and cut out all white starches, and cut way back on other starches. Starches which are by definition concentrated carbohydrates are the biggest problem for T2 diabetics. It is almost as if you are starch intolerant. You might try a low starch, high veggie with lean protein meat diet. It would certainly improve you triglycerides and your BG, but then that is only from my experience, and my opinion.

auriga1 responded:
You have received some great answers. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. It has nothing to do with sugar.

When looking at nutrition labels, look at the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line. Invest in a carbohydate count book or you can go online to note how many carbs are in foods you eat. My dietician recommended "The Calorie King." This book is also online. It lists the calories, fat and carbohydrates of the foods we eat. It also includes a section with fast food restaurants to help you out.

You will have to change your lifestyle by eating better and exercising in order to keep this at bay.

Get it out of your head regarding the "sugar" thing. Pre-diabetes and diabetes are all about watching the amount of carbohydrates you consume.

AmazingHealth replied to auriga1's response:
Thank You everybody. I will watch the Carbs I eat. I am switching white rice to brown rice to start off.

I didnt know oatmeal spikes sugar in blood. I always thought it is a way to reduce my cholestrol. So, if i want to control this a1c and at the same time lower my cholestrol, what would be the best way?

I do take an hour walk daily as an exercise.

davedsel replied to AmazingHealth's response:
Hello.

A good thing to get familiar with is the Glycemic Index. This measures how a food affects your glucose level. Here is a link to a site that explains this and lists foods and their glycemic index (GI): http://www.personalhealthanswers.com/glycemic-index-food-list-chart/

Everyone is different. You need to try a food and then test your blood sugar 2 hours after eating. Personally, rice of any type - even brown - raises my levels. It is all a matter of experimenting to find what foods will work for you.
Click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 replied to AmazingHealth's response:
Oatmeal is only okay. Instant is the worst. If you really like oatmeal, try the steel cut. Don't give it up completely if you feel it can help reduce cholesterol. See if you can talk with your physician or nurse and ask for a recommendation to see a dietician.

Since diabetes is about carb counting, you should know how many carbs is good for you to consume at each meal. Many diabetics when first diagnosed are recommended to see a dietician.

I realize you have a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. It would be a good idea to research as much as you can.

Keeping diabetes under control is a combination of things: diet, exercise and many times medication, including insulin.

Talk with your doctor and get a recommendation. Many of us have the same problems as you with diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol prolems, etc.

A good healthy eating plan is what you need, thus the recommendation to a dietician. Mine gave me a plan that has caloric limits, protein limits and, of course, carb limits. I am actually allowed 2,000 - 2,200 per day calories-wise.

Research fats, too. Try and limit the fats to good fats. Mono-unsaturated is the way to go. Our body also needs fats to function properly, so it's not a good idea to give them all up.

It's a process that takes time to get things right. Baby steps. Do your research and talk with others. We are all individuals. What works for one person may not work with the other.

Research your carbs. Add lots of veggies to your diet and keep your proteins lean. All of our foods have carbs in them with the exception of proteins and fats. Find a guide to help you out with them.

Good for you in the walking. Make sure you work harder than you normally do. This helps with keeping your glucose within normal range along with watching your carb intake. If you can add fiber to your diet, this helps with your glucose numbers.

As a frame of reference, my doctor gave these numbers for blood glucose levels: in the a.m. (fasting) 70-110, two hours after a meal, under 140. Before bed 70-110.

Good luck to you.

AmazingHealth replied to auriga1's response:
Wow, with that said everybody. I have to start to have the needle device that measure my glusoce level now?
I don't know if this is really that serious. I guess I will have to consult the doctor to find out.

Thanks once again.

mrscora01 replied to AmazingHealth's response:
"I don't know if this is really that serious."

Yes, it is. I'm sorry but many people feel that being pre-diabetic is kind of like being a little bit pregnant. You have a glucose impairment. While you won't have to do such intensive treatment like a type 1 would, it is a good idea to test somewhat to see what starchy/sweet foods (like grains and fruit) do to your blood sugar.

I don't mean to scare you, but every time your blood sugar spikes, you may be doing some damage to your body. So you need to keep those spikes to a minimum.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

betatoo replied to mrscora01's response:
Take 99% of the T2 diabetics word out there. If they had known, or done more when they were prediabetic to possibly stave off, or beat this disease at the early point. . . . they, I would.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.