Skip to content
Am I being a worry wort?
An_253989 posted:
Hey all,

I have a question for those more in the know about this condition. I have a family history of Type 2. I've always been concerned about my own risks. I already have a high blood pressure. And I'm only 30. I went for my annual physical about 3.5 weeks ago. Blood glucose levels were within normal ranges at that time. As they are generally. It was 90. And the year prior, it was 89, and the one before that, I believe 90. So that seems to be my norm.

Over the past few weeks. I've been running myself pretty hard (I'm a student). More than anything I've just not been getting enough rest. I'm a vegetarian, and my diet hasn't changed much. Lately, I've noticed during the day having to urinate more often and feeling hungry still even after a full meal. I have a history of anxiety, and for the longest had put away the day-to-day anxieties of developing this condition. I'm curious if I should get re-screened for diabetes? I kind of don't want to give into my fears (I've been down that expensive and stressful road), but again, not sure if I could literally have worn myself down over that past few weeks to change my health condition?

Thanks for listening and any advice.

An_251837 responded:
Rather than go through the effort, time and expense of seeing your doctor (not a bad thing, though) you could buy a test meter and strips. They are available over the counter without a prescription and are reasonably priced. Test your blood sugar first thing in the morning after not eating or drinking for 10-12 hours, and again 2 hours after a meal. Do this periodically to monitor your sugar and if it starts going up consistently it is time to see your doctor.

carpesomething replied to An_251837's response:
Thanks for the advice. I used to self-monitor, and it ended up becoming a compulsion. And I'm hesitant to get back on that train at this point. I guess I'm just curious on whether or not a few weeks of not taking the best care of myself, could trigger this off? Or, I just need to...chill.

flutetooter replied to carpesomething's response:
Do both -- take better care of yourself AND chill! Low stress will help your health in general.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

brunosbud responded:
I have a terrible family record of Type 2 Diabetes so for me, I don't believe it's a question of "if", rather. "when". I have my A1C checked at regular intervals and test, occasionally, at home, like you. I prepare all my meals using only fresh, whole ingredients and exercise for a minimum of one hour, everyday. So, in essence, I live my life "pretending" I have diabetes. This way, when that fateful day arrives and the hammer falls, I'll be at peace. I'm ready. I've been "in-training" for years.

And, what if I never become diabetic?...

Nothing. Either way, I'm covered. Peace

flutetooter replied to brunosbud's response:
If you start with healthy "diabetic" eating and exercising programs now, while you are maybe just a "pre", that will leav lots of "worry room" in your brain for other serious ailments as you get older. Believe me, you'll need that room.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.