Super high sugars and large ketones!!
Anon_137315 posted:
I am a type 1 diabetic and recently had readings over 500 and 600 respectively. I also have large urine ketones. I was wondering how long I should try to self treat this. I have been giving insulin through my pump and via shots the last few hours.Should I still try to manage this until tomorrow morning in this fashion or seek medical help now?

Becky

liladieni responded:
Personally I head to the ER with anything over 400..or at least call my doctor to see what they want me to do.

auriga1 responded:
Agree with Lila. I was sent to the ER by my own doctor when I had a reading of 435 two hours after a meal. It was probably much higher than that right after I ate. They gave me an insulin drip titrated hourly.

I realize it has been a full day. Sincerely hope you called your doctor's office to see what he/she would have wanted you to do.

Becky2930 replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for the responses. I ended up going to the ER shortly after posting and have been in the ICU on an insulin drip as you described. I also started having chest pain and shortness of breathe so I'm very glad I went when I did!

Thanks again!!

Becky

brunosbud responded:
For viewers who don't understand what Becky means when she writes, "...I also have large urine ketones..." Hope this helps.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/28524/59921/dealing-ketones/

Kudos, Becky! You made good decisions!

auriga1 replied to Becky2930's response:
Glad for you, Becky. Smart decision.

Now just to prevent this from happening again and again. Wish you much luck and feel better soon.