Skip to content
Super high sugars and large ketones!!
Anon_137315 posted:
I am a type 1 diabetic and recently had readings over 500 and 600 respectively. I also have large urine ketones. I was wondering how long I should try to self treat this. I have been giving insulin through my pump and via shots the last few hours.Should I still try to manage this until tomorrow morning in this fashion or seek medical help now?

liladieni responded:
Personally I head to the ER with anything over 400..or at least call my doctor to see what they want me to do.
auriga1 responded:
Agree with Lila. I was sent to the ER by my own doctor when I had a reading of 435 two hours after a meal. It was probably much higher than that right after I ate. They gave me an insulin drip titrated hourly.

I realize it has been a full day. Sincerely hope you called your doctor's office to see what he/she would have wanted you to do.
Becky2930 replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for the responses. I ended up going to the ER shortly after posting and have been in the ICU on an insulin drip as you described. I also started having chest pain and shortness of breathe so I'm very glad I went when I did!

Thanks again!!

brunosbud responded:
For viewers who don't understand what Becky means when she writes, "...I also have large urine ketones..." Hope this helps.

Kudos, Becky! You made good decisions!
auriga1 replied to Becky2930's response:
Glad for you, Becky. Smart decision.

Now just to prevent this from happening again and again. Wish you much luck and feel better soon.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
123 of 176 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.