Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Super high sugars and large ketones!!
    Anon_137315 posted:
    I am a type 1 diabetic and recently had readings over 500 and 600 respectively. I also have large urine ketones. I was wondering how long I should try to self treat this. I have been giving insulin through my pump and via shots the last few hours.Should I still try to manage this until tomorrow morning in this fashion or seek medical help now?

    liladieni responded:
    Personally I head to the ER with anything over 400..or at least call my doctor to see what they want me to do.
    auriga1 responded:
    Agree with Lila. I was sent to the ER by my own doctor when I had a reading of 435 two hours after a meal. It was probably much higher than that right after I ate. They gave me an insulin drip titrated hourly.

    I realize it has been a full day. Sincerely hope you called your doctor's office to see what he/she would have wanted you to do.
    Becky2930 replied to auriga1's response:
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up going to the ER shortly after posting and have been in the ICU on an insulin drip as you described. I also started having chest pain and shortness of breathe so I'm very glad I went when I did!

    Thanks again!!

    brunosbud responded:
    For viewers who don't understand what Becky means when she writes, "...I also have large urine ketones..." Hope this helps.

    Kudos, Becky! You made good decisions!
    auriga1 replied to Becky2930's response:
    Glad for you, Becky. Smart decision.

    Now just to prevent this from happening again and again. Wish you much luck and feel better soon.

    Helpful Tips

    Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.