Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Elderberry Syrup
judgeegg posted:
I have Type 2 Diabetes. A friend recommended I take elderberry syrup which is good for the immune system. I also have a form of leukemia.
Is it safe to take elderberry syrup as a diabetics? What are the ingredients in the syrup? Thank you.

Take the Poll

is elderberry syrup safe for diabetes 2 and leukemia? A friend recommended it but not sure if it is safe to take. Thanks for any help.
  • safe to take
  • not safe to take
  • info about contents of elderberry syryup
vote
View Poll Results

flutetooter responded:
You must be quite new to diabetes or you would know the answer to taking ANY kind of syrup. Syrup is a highly concentrated liquid sugar and will likely make your blood sugar spike. There are many foods that are good for your immune system, including green leafy vegetable and many other non-starchy veggies that don't cause your blood sugar to go up quickly. I suggest that you start with the tips, discussions, and resources listed at the upper right corner of this page, under Dr. Dansinger to educate yourself about this disease.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

judgeegg replied to flutetooter's response:
I am not new to diabetes. A friend recommended I take the
syrup and I was just checking for its safety. Thanks. I will check Dr. Dansinger's info. Thanks. My immune system is shot due to leukemia and just checking out the elderberry syrup.

Sue

An_254117 replied to judgeegg's response:
The herb Cat's Claw is a much better choice for building up your immune system. Astragalus is another excellent choice. Echinacea is another choice that is easy to come by.

mrscora01 responded:
You need to talk to your oncologist before taking any supplement that affects the immune system. I do the same as I am immune suppressed due to my transplants. Forget the diabetes for a second and make sure that this is safe to take with your leukemia. I think that will trump everything.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

brunosbud responded:
Make it yourself and cut way back on the honey or, if that's not possible, eat less. In terms of diabetes, eating honey is no different than eating sugar. Hope this helps.

judgeegg replied to mrscora01's response:
Thank you very much for your response. I will talk to my oncologist when I see him again. I will also stop listening to
friends with advice. Thanks and take care.

Sue

mrscora01 replied to judgeegg's response:
Sue, friends are so well meaning. They glom onto every little thing they read somewhere or hear about and hope to help you because they care. Unfortunately, they have no personal knowledge of the conditions we have, our various medical issues, and the drugs we take for whatever reason. Always check with both your doc and your pharmacist.

My cousin who gave me the kidney used to (finally stopped thank goodness) always press me to take all sorts of things to boost my immune system. Doing that would, of course, increase the risk of me rejecting the kidney.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

judgeegg replied to mrscora01's response:
I use my pharmacist for info on what I can and can't take!!!!!
Did not ask phrmacist about elderberry syrup - I went onto Web MD for help. Thanks for caring.

Sue

brunosbud replied to mrscora01's response:
Aren't people just wonderful?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.