Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How does time of waking affect fasting levels?
An_254162 posted:
I have found that the closer I test to when I actually wake up (and haven't engaged in any activity), the more "normal" my blood sugar level is. But on many mornings, I have been awake for a few hours before I measure my levels (without having eaten). For example, I might wake at 6:30 in the morning, get up and take a quick shower before making breakfast for the kids, get them ready for school, take them to the bus and then come home and test. By then, it's 8:30 or 9am - I've been up for over 2 hours. These numbers are often higher than desired (usually around 105-115).

I thought that, as long as I haven't eaten during that time, my numbers should still reflect regular "fasting blood sugar levels" but the activity seems to matter??

p.s. same can happen on weekends if I wake up but meander in the bed reading or watching tv for a few hours - so that's not so much about activity but about having been awake?

If anyone's got some insight, it'd be truly appreciated.

brunosbud responded:
We need glucose in the blood stream, already, in anticipation for our normal daily activities. We don't need to tell our body, "OK, in 15 minutes, I'm going to be running, full-tilt, trying to get the kids ready for school". It's the same explanation for why our blood sugar can measure high, both before or after a workout. Spikes and spurts of high blood sugar can and do occur throughout the day. It's the chronic high blood sugar we should worry about. That's why your doctor reconciles your measurement readings with the A1C. They provide a more accurate picture of what's really going on.

leftyplayer replied to brunosbud's response:
Thank you brunosbud. That is good to know. The rest of my numbers throughout the day are good. It is that fasting number that is always a conundrum, but I have suspected that it's the long delay between the time I actually wake up and the time I test (and all the various activities in between) that cause the bulk of the variation. I'm due for a new A1c, so we'll see what story that tells as well.

auriga1 replied to leftyplayer's response:
It does not matter what time you wake; it is the number of hours between meals that will affect your blood sugar. You are right in what you suspect. As brunosbud said, we need glucose in order for our bodies to function properly. It is used as fuel for your muscles no matter what the activity.

When you go 8 - 10 hours without anything to eat, your body "thinks" it is starving. Your liver releases glucose to "help." The growth hormone, cortisol and catecholamines cause the liver to release the glucose.

Your A1c will give you good insight. Do you ever test two hours after a meal? This is also a good indicator of the kind of control you have.

leftyplayer replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1, thank you for the reply. Yes, I do test two hours after a meal and, so far, those are numbers range from the 80's to under 120. I believe that's pretty good, though I'm told that "normal" people are usually under 100 by two hours post-meal. Not sure if that is accurate.

auriga1 replied to leftyplayer's response:
LOL, lefty. "Normal" people. Well, there are two schools of thought on the number that represents the post-prandial meal. The ADA stands at 180 or below. My doctor said that number should be 140 or below.

The AACE (Association of American Clinial Endocrinologists) also recommends that number be 140 and under.

Your numbers look good PP. There are too many that put emphasis on those a.m. fasting numbers. Mine is higher now in the morning since I have cut the dosage of basal insulin. I go low too often during the day at work, so that had to be done. I don't like the numbers either, but many have told me I've been obsessing.

My doctor didn't like all the lows he saw on my meter. He said it can damage the brain and the heart, so I put up with the higher numbers in the morning.

Again, your A1c is a good indicator of the kind of control you have.

BTW, we are all normal. LOL.

brunosbud replied to auriga1's response:
"If we're normal and Leo is normal, then normal is whatever you are!" Leo the Lop (Eared Rabbit)

rwgunn responded:
Counter-intuitive, isn't it?

The liver processes the "fructose" part of the disaccharide sucrose (table sugar). It stores the processed sugar as fat for future use. As others have said, the body monitors the blood-glucose level and if it determines that you are unlikely to be taking in fuel to bring up your blood-glucose level to required levels, it will signal the liver to process that stored fat into glucose to be put into your bloodstream.

My experience has been that the sensors for determining "starvation mode" can be mis-calibrated to a level higher than is best when a person has had a consistently high blood-glucose level. Sort of like a person getting used to 100 degree weather and then moving to a place where the temperature averages 80 degrees. The temperature is definitely warm enough but the person still feels cooler than they are use to and may decide to put on a sweater.

Once,I've tested when I was feeling what seemed to be low blood-glucose and found a reading of 90 ( actually a nice healthy place to be.). I waited another hour before getting something to eat and, on a lark, re-tested before eating. My blood-glucose was 100!

Being aware is good but don't let this one anomaliy stress you out... another fun thing that raises blood-glucose levels.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.