Skip to content
Insulin under skin
sonjalea posted:
Help. I just gave myself my pre dinner shot in my leg. It formed a huge bump on my leg. Will the insulin still get in me or do I need to take my shot again???

brunosbud responded:
Read the following link for assistance...
http://www.loop-blog.com/blog/Lumps-and-Bumps-from-Insulin-Therapy

"...Infusing insulin into areas of lipohypertrophy can affect your glucose control. Insulin is not always well-absorbed in these areas..."

auriga1 responded:
Check your blood sugar 1/2 hour after your injection. Check again in an hour. Never give yourself another injection until you know what your blood glucose levels are.

I do not know what kind of insulin you are using. From your post, it "sounds" like you are using a rapid-acting insulin with your meal so your blood sugar does not rise if you eat carbs. I also don't know if you use a sliding scale or carb to insulin ratio; i.e. 1 unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbs.

Humalog starts working 10 minutes after injection. Novolog, about 20 minutes to one half hour.

Again, you should know what your blood sugar levels are before you inject yourself multiple times.

I've gotten raised bumps after injecting my insulin. Press on the injection site with the palm of your hand for at least 10 seconds. Since the insulin is injected right under the skin, the pressing will help the insulin spread further from the site and aid in absorption.

If you need help immediately after such a reaction, call the manufacturer of the insulin or your doctor's office. This is better than giving yourself more insulin if you don't need it.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.