Skip to content
Hyperglycemia in long term controlled diabetic
angel5921 posted:
Good Morning,
I am an insulin dependent type II diabetic and have had my disease under control for over 15 years. Over the last three or four days my blood sugar readings have been off the charts. I took a reading 4 days ago that registered 550. I haven't had readings like this since 1998. I will confess that my exercise routine hasn't been what it used to be over that last 2 months. I have slowed down a bit.
I adjusted my insulin intake and readings have been ranging from 360-250 fasting. My eating habits have been pretty good except for an occasional cocktail or dessert. (once a week) I have actually lost 8 lbs.
I am not ill that I am aware of. I started having menopause symptoms a few months back. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I started taking a vitamin supplement for the hot flashes.
This trend is disturbing to say the least. My new insurance doesn't kick in until January. I will go to the doctor if it gets worse. Should I wait it out to see if things get worse or better, more exercise?
I am a little freaked out. Any input would be helpful.

nutrijoy responded:
When a diabetic woman enters the menopausal stage in life, one of the most significant factors in maintaining good blood glucose control is hormonal changes. As a woman's body goes through menopause, her hormone levels will go up and down sporadically and in less than predictable amounts. Yet hormones regulate nearly everything in our bodies and they may directly impact your blood sugar levels and your insulin dosages.

Estrogen and progesterone help to normalize sugar levels and help improve the way that the body stores fat. However, when menopause occurs, the levels of these two hormones are dramatically altered and can fluctuate during the month resulting in blood sugar imbalances. The age old advice for maintaining proper blood sugar level remains regular exercise and a healthy diet. However, both will require tweaking and revision during menopause; especially your diet. What may have been acceptable before will have to be tweaked: either in the foods (and amounts) that you eat and/or the amount of insulin that is required to offset the impact of your diet. While diabetes remains a cause and effect disease, it is the effect that you will have to monitor more carefully and make the necessary adjustments.

Here are a few articles that may assist you in better understanding the impact of menopause on your blood sugar control efforts:
Lifescript : Diabetic Women and Menopause
Mayo Clinic: How lifestyle, daily routine affect blood sugar
Mayo Clinic: Diabetes and menopause
Livestrong: Sugar Sensitivity & Menopause
EzineArticle: The Effects of Menopause on Blood Sugar Levels
EzineArticle: Recognize the Early Signs of Menopause Imbalances

Of course, inflammation can also be a factor and one of the most often overlooked sources of inflammation is in your mouth. Getting a thorough dental exam (and cleaning) will help eliminate this as a possible factor in your overall health. Also, don't overlook the importance of gastric health and balance. Taking a good probiotic supplement daily for at least 30 days has helped resolve many issues for a lot of people. [br> [br>

mrscora01 responded:
Hormonal changes, at any age, can wreak havoc with blood sugar control. Kids with type 1 go through it when growing and maturing, pregnant women definitely go through, and you are now at the other stage where this happens. All I can suggest is to test a lot, expect frequent changes in your dosing (I would recommend the books "Think Like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin") and hopefully once things settle for you, so will your blood sugar.

Best of luck.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

brunosbud responded:
Part of why it's so very hard to understand why are bodies, often times, react suddenly and strangely is because so few understand the dynamics of aging.

I've provided this link because it explains this process, in depth, and it is excellent...

http://www.faqs.org/health/topics/19/Aging.html

Just keep in mind, that our abilities to fight disease and infection diminish over time. That's not meant to frighten you or anyone, for that matter. It is what it is and it's normal. My best advice to anyone under the age of 40 is to get your weight to normal levels, establish a daily exercise program and quit smoking and alcohol, now, because it only gets tougher each year, thereafter. Especially, diabetes control.
Controlling blood sugar is a function of every organ in the human body. How can it not be effected with age?

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.