Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Change in Insulin - Blood Sugar Elevated
An_254332 posted:
Is there a reason that changing from Novo insulin shots to Lantus pen injections, blood sugar is higher? My husband and I changed to the Lantus pen and as an example I took 22 units with shots and averaged around 150-160 in morning (yes high) - now on Lantus and up to 26 units upping 2 a day and average for last week is 180! No change in diet exercise etc from other insulin. My doctor only is telling me to keep upping it 2 a day........any ideas? thank you

auriga1 responded:
When you say Novo insulin, are you talking about Novolin N?

I was taking Lantus insulin until we lost our health insurance. My doctor started me at 15 units, then 18, etc. This amount of insulin didn't touch my fasting. He had me call his office every two days with my fasting numbers. Eventually, he stated that I should raise my dosage every 2 units and watch the fasting and 2-hour post-prandial readings. I reach 40 units of Lantus every morning. My fasting before that dosage would not go below 150-200.

The more I exercised and/or moved I found out that I needed less insulin. I also found that when I cut carbs to 35 or less per meal, I needed less insulin. Humalog helped with the mealtime rises in blood sugar.

Do as your doctor says. That's the only way to find out what the correct dosage will be for the Lantus. If you feel you could cut down more on your carb intake, go ahead. You may need to change your diet and exercise with the new insulin.

I am now using Novolin N every day at 26 units. I need far less of this than the Lantus. I would go low nearly every day, so I had to reduce the dosage.

I can only tell you from experience that I needed more Lantus than I need of the Novolin.

jamiekellyc replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you that's what I was wondering - why my readings were lower with Novolin with a lesser dosage than the Lantus at a higher dosage increasing 2 every day. I am going to keep track a few more days then go back to the doctor with more questions..........appreciate your response

ajnsmom replied to jamiekellyc's response:
When I lost my insurance, I also switched to Novolin N and Novolin R that I can get cheaper at Walmart. Surprisingly, my blood sugars are easier to control on these than when I was taking Lantus and Novolog. I hope you figure out what is best for you too.

Linda S.

auriga1 replied to ajnsmom's response:
Linda, I did the same thing. I was taking Lantus and Humalog until we lost our insurance. They were purchased through a national retail pharmacy with the retail price to go along with them. My Lantus receipt stated that my insurance saved me $263.00 and then some after paying a copay of $60.00.

I had good control with this insulin therapy of Lantus and Humalog. This also included diet and exercise.

I am able to purchase the Lantus and Humalog now that we have health insurance. For the time being, I decided not to. When you can get insulin over the counter at $24.99 per vial and a package of syringes for $1.89, well...why not. Once I was able to get the dosaging correct, I don't see taxing an already over-taxed health system. The Novolin N and R have been working for me just fine.

I would like to get the Novolin R in pen form just so I can have it with me. I have to skip lunch until I get home from work because I don't want to carry a vial with me.

jamiekellyc responded:
Thank you everyone - it just does "not" make sense that now on 34 mg of Lantus I am at the same blood level as 22 of Novolin.........I have to take so much more of Lantus.
Guess I will just keep taking it for another week or so and see if there are any better results.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.