Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
me and diabetes
ddkeller posted:
about two years ago i came down with Diabetes. I started off by having to take insulin and after not being able to afford it I tried managing with food and so far so good my levels that were so high are now in the low numbers from 98 to 106 sometimes a little higher but now even as I type my hands sometimes fall a sleep for any aparent reason and I have had trouble with my feet. Now the pain has become unbarable in my left foot were it feels like it is broken and it is effecting my toes to the point of numbness and my right foot keeps developing a sore between my toes and can't get rid of it. I guess I am at the point of returning to my doc to see what we can do about.

flutetooter responded:
I think that is what doctors are for. Self treating is risky even if it is less expensive. Not having feet to walk on can get a little expensive also.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

ddkeller replied to flutetooter's response:
thanks for responding. since I posted i recently went to the hospital in such agonizing pain and while i was there waiting for the lab work the doc came in and said that the sore between my toe is a diabetic ulcer. when the labs came back it was disappointing news when the doc said that my counts were high and low as far as white count and stuff then when i got home i was asked to call the doc about my labs and it was said that my red count is low and iron levels are low and from the testing that she had in front of her it looked like from the evidence she had that it is possible that my liver and other organs might be shutting down so today i am going to get some other opinions

brunosbud replied to ddkeller's response:
I'm glad you're getting some help, now. Good luck.

nutrijoy replied to ddkeller's response:
You urgently need to get your blood glucose levels under tighter control; as close to near normal as possible and that is based on 24/7 readings, not just fasting BG levels. The quickest way to achieve that is via the use of insulin, period (there are many other methods but all take time that you may not have since you are already suffering from serious complications).

If you avoid using the pricier insulin analogs and go with "regular" insulins such a Novolin-R and Novolin-N, you will find both to be quite affordable when purchased at WalMart pharmacies. The cost for same is around $24 per vial and typically lasts at least a month, depending upon dosage and use. Syringes (Reli-On brand) are also affordable at WalMart for around $12.50 per hundred (online vendors also offer insulin syringes for slightly under $12/100 but often require a minimum $ purchase to qualify for free shipping). These low cost syringes cost less than the disposable needles alone that are used for the far costlier Pen insulins.

There is a learning curve associated with using insulin effectively. A very good book on the topic is Think Like A Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. New copies of the older edition (2004) can be purchased for less than eight dollars ($ through the Amazon Marketplace . That's less than Amazon charges for the Kindle (eBook) version. If you would prefer the latest and revised edition (2011), then opt for the Kindle version which is priced at just $9.99 (about $2 more). You do NOT need a Kindle reader to view a Kindle book but can simply use Amazon's free Kindle Reader software that is available for most platforms including PC, Mac, and Android.

You can also obtain some degree of portability with conventional vial/syringe insulin use (Auriga, this may be helpful to you as well):
You don't have to carry an insulin vial with you when traveling or away from home. Simply prefill one or more syringes with estimated dosages/requirements and then place them into a Wright Prefilled Syringe Carrying Case . The case prevents unintentional plunger movement (and subsequent insulin loss). The link provided will take you to the Amazon site where the price ($15/2-pack) for this particular item is as competitive as any I have seen. I actually invented a prefilled syringe case of my own design but decided that the market was too small to warrant the cost of the mold, manufacturing, placing it into production, and of course, promotional and distribution costs. A fairly extensive search and multiple purchases of various makes and models of prefilled insulin carrying cases made me conclude that the Wright Case probably constitutes best of breed at the moment.

Hint: overfill the syringe with an extra unit or two to offset contingencies. If you need less than the amount in a prefilled syringe, just squirt the excess into a sink or planter before injecting so that you don't overdose (it's pretty difficult to accurately control the amount of a partial injection in real time so it's better to discard unneeded excess before making the injection).

Of course, the cardinal rule remains: work with your doctor on the use of "regular" insulins. The tendency for most physicians is to go with the latest (and often the most expensive) insulin analogs. Perhaps that may be warranted (but no guarantees) when the Affordable Care Act kicks into full gear and (if) you are able to obtain "full" coverage. However, I'm personally not holding my breath.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.