Skip to content
Diabetes and exercise
ccox65 posted:
I am new to diabetes. I have noticed that my blood suger goes to 180-200 when I exercise. The more strenuous the exercise the higher the blood suger. Does anyone know why this happens?

laura2gemini2 responded:
Exercise is a form of stress on the body. Whenever you have stress, your liver secretes sugar.

Even though it goes up during exercise, you may notice it dropping low after you are done.

This does happen to me too, and I make sure to drink plenty of water while I work out.

glucerna responded:
There's a good explanation about exercise and blood sugar levels here: http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/exercise-guidelines . This is also a topic to discuss with your physician an get his/her recommendation. ~Lynn@Glucerna

brunosbud replied to laura2gemini2's response:
Regulation of blood glucose both during and after exercise depends a great deal on the efficiency at which the kidneys and liver are functioning. That efficiency is greatly impacted by the level of hydration in the body. Of course, the level of "toxins" in the bloodstream (medications), can reduce that efficiency, too. And, let us not forget, these two organs, uncoincidentally, are the first to be destroyed by chronic hyperglycemia. So, in other words, it's hard to say, from one diabetic to the next, what kind of readings they may see when exercising...

Bottomline, make sure you drink a lot of fresh water, everyday, for optimum blood sugar regulation.

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Very true regarding the water ingestion. Even the nurses in my doctor's office recommended lots of water to help the blood glucose.

hikarim responded:
You might check your blood sugar mid workout because if you go low while you workout your liver will dump sugar causing you to go high.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.