Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Back to Brussels Sprouts
flutetooter posted:
After a few too many bites of stuffing , gravy , turkey , slaw , pies , ice cream , squash , etc. it's back to stricter carb counting. I did a lot of walking after meals, and went up and down the stairs repeatedly, so the fasting glucose was still O.K. I also workied hard changing beds and doing dishes and laundry for the 20 people who were here for the weekend. Much good visiting and a reasonable meal and exercise plan made a very Thankful weekend. Diabetes is manageable with effort.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

debs_bears responded:
Flutetooter it is good you had all that kind of exercise to help lower your sugars.

I actually stayed home and made a small turkey breast and 1 small yellow potato didn't feel like going to someone's house and watch them eat what I could not.

Glad your sugars are good despite your meals. Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
My "few too many bites" of all the good Thanksgiving foods were just a tablespoon of each, rather than my usual teaspoon tastes. My total food at meals was only 1/2 plate full, so my total carbs were well under 50 for the whole meal. My usual limit is 15-20 grams of carbs a meal and 10 for a snack. I eat every 3 hours or so. It works for me to stay off meds completely. I also tested several times a day.

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Good for you everything in moderation.

glucerna responded:
I like the way you enjoyed smaller amounts of holiday foods, and paired that with lots of physical activity. Using these same ideas will help you through the next few busy holiday weeks as well. ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo responded:
My family has actually added many more veggies to the table than before. Some of the older folks like their veggies cooked really well(mush), but most of us try for lightly cooked. They also always have a salad of sorts to help me out, this usually supplied by my daughter. I have gotten to the point that the stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, pies, cakes and rolls just go by me without even a second thought. Now when the olives, pickles, veggies, ham, or turkey come by I am all over them. My wife always prepares a little bit of yam or sweet potato without anything in it, along with some baked apple with no sugar, and some cranberry orange relish with no sugar. So I really don't feel deprived.

Michael Dansinger, MD replied to betatoo's response:
Beta
Sounds like a really deluxe meal without going overboard on carbs. Protein, veggies and fruit. My kind of meal!

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Flute:
Brussels Sprouts--your post title gave me a little chuckle!
I never make them for myself. My wife makes them really well! Even my grade-school aged children will happily eat them. Served them at Thanksgiving--brought them from Boston to Stamford CT to share with family. I'll admit the mashed potatoes were more popular with the in-laws.

betatoo replied to Michael Dansinger, MD's response:
I have found that the protein/veggies/fruit route works well for me. As I have said before, I do not test on a regular basis, only when feeling ... odd. Even then the numbers are usually normal 80-95. My main problem with this lifestyle diet is that it has to have supplements to keep me from losing too much. I have found that nuts are important to keep me from dropping my weight too low. I have also found that when my diet lacks the huge amounts of veggies I usually eat that I lose too much. I went on trip with my Dad and his new wife that does not cook diabetic friendly even though she thinks so. I lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks, even snacking on nuts.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Brussesl Sprouts - How To: I use only fresh; for raw veggie tray cut them in half after barely slicing off the stem end, blanch them only to "al dente" so they don't looked cooked. For steamed ones, prepare the same only steam them a bit longer. I serve them tossed with cashews and a Persiam lime extra virgin olie oil. Yum! Limit serving so that a flute isn't the only thing tooting.

flutetooter replied to flutetooter's response:
Typos - "Persian" "olive"

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Ah, Flute, nothing wrong with tooting. So many veggies, especially raw do that to nearly everyone. We're all in the same boat...human. I don't even try to limit any veggie I love. I don't care. Uh oh. That stupid song just popped into my head. "I Don't Care." Practice makes perfect. Just make a melody out of "tooting."

So love brussel sprouts. I like them roasted after cutting them in half with some EVOO flavored with a little garlic and sea salt. Yum.

Was in for a surprise when our young daughter decided to try them and she actually LIKED them. Bonus. Kids eating veggies.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.