Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Who is "glucerna"?
flutetooter posted:
Over the past two weeks there have been posts by "glucerna" with no story or picture in the section on posters. Is this a continuous ad?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

auriga1 replied to glucerna's response:
Lynn, welcome. Nice to meet you.

debs_bears replied to glucerna's response:
Welcome Lynn glad to see you hear. Hospitals need more of you around. I'll start another to you directly. Debbie

glucerna replied to debs_bears's response:
Thanks for the welcome! ~Lynn @Glucerna

max9821 responded:
Why would anyone consume a chemical concoction like glucerna instead of wholesome whole real food? The ingredients in the shake look like they came straight from a chemist's bench--- because they do. The chocolate shake contains 190 calories of which about one third are fat. And a teaspoon and a half of sugar. Nothing real in it except oil and cocoa powder. And the oil is a refined distillate of real food. If you are at home you have access to real food and if you are out there are things to carry that are less cumbersome than a shake and more healthful than a bar. If someone is diabetic he should learn to read ingredient lists and not rely on the advertising hype.

dolores

betatoo replied to max9821's response:
Amen. There are times for the need of a snack to hold one over. I often decide to take some form of bar with me to snack on in the way of energy-it takes a while to find something that is low in carbs, has protein and calories and .. .tastes good. However, I have found a few. I have resorted to only drinking water, tea, coffee, ultra light beer and the occasional zevia soda. The need for a shake just isn't there.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
I'm still confused as to why (according to the rules for posting on theis support community - no ads) that a paid person from the "Glucerna" business is encouraged to give "helpful hints" to diabetics. She seems very nice, but the maybe there should be posters from all the drug firms and diabetic supply houses, and individual personal physicians. What am I missing here?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 replied to flutetooter's response:
Flute, there have been posters from one of the major pharmacies too. Also wanting to "help". I just tend to ignore advice from people without personal experience.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

brunosbud responded:
In terms of hospitalization purposes, management of hyperglycemia, avoidance of hypoglycemia and prevention of further systemic destruction due to complications arising from diabetes is critical for improved patient outcomes in critical care situations. For better or worse, glucerna is being used, extensively, for this purpose. Would I advise the newly diagnosed diabetic to drink this stuff on a regular basis? Not on your life! But, that doesn't discount the importance of this product and it's use in emergency settings, imo.

I don't see the fuss, really. To be honest, I thought her name was "glucerna". Didn't bother me, then, doesn't bother me, still...

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
I'm a registered dietitian/nutritionist and certified diabetes educator, and participate in these discussions as a way to communicate with people with diabetes. I learn a lot from everyone here, and hope that my suggestions and comments are helpful for you. My name is Lynn, and I'm a consultant for Glucerna, hence the Lynn @Glucerna. I hope that makes sense! ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud replied to glucerna's response:
Thanks for your comments, glucerna and, welcome. As you can imagine, there are many people in need of diabetes education. It's a complex disease and, like shoes, no single pair fits all.

Question: For the newly diagnosed (usually scared and unsure of what to do next), please, instruct me on the first three things that I must put into practice, asap, to gain control of crazy high readings I'm getting. Thank you for whatever advice you can provide!

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
I've made this comment a couple of times, already, but I'll say it, again. Once I gained a good understanding on how to regulate my blood sugar and what factors can disrupt/destroy said "control", then, I began to see the "beauty" of diabetes..How the human body can not only self-heal but it can, non-verbally, guide us to safety and protect us from harm. If people with heart disease ate like a well controlled diabetic, there'd be a helluva lot fewer potential stroke and heart attack victims walking the streets at night. Same for the obese. Ditto for kidney and fatty liver disease candidates. Controlling diabetes holds the secret to teaching everyone how to live their lives without the threat of being ambushed by catastrophic diagnosis.

What has this got to do with glucerna, you ask? Because I hate to test, I eat pretty much the same healthy foods, day after day, with little variation. This is precisely how hospitals view "glucerna" and other similar low carb, meal replacement products. They need blood sugar under strict control so they can treat whatever god-awful problem(s) the patient's got going.

Is it boring to eat this way? Not to me. My control and how I feel is far more "exciting" than what goes into my mouth. Is it expensive or lots of work? I spend less than 99% on food because you eat less when nutrition is high and the work I perform is looked upon as "exercise" (another key to keeping blood glucose at bay).

When I walk pass the countless restaurants each night with my dogs, in tow, I see plenty of happy faces shoveling god- knows-what into their smiling faces...Enjoying life and livin' large. There was a time not too long ago when I did the very same thing so I fully understand both the need and desire to eat delicious food. I'm the last person, qualified, to pass judgment. But, the difference is, being a diabetic, I'm well versed of the "risk-rewards" I face when I make my decisions on fine dining, these days.

Like I said, I'm "lucky" to have diabetes. That's life in the "Matrix". When the truth is too severe, just order the steak...

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.