Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Blurry vision
campolito posted:
My husband is diabetic type 2. About few weeks ago his blood sugar was very high for a while but his vision was fine. Now the blood sugar is where suppose to be but his vision is all the time very blurry. A family member said that is gonna takes a little while until goes normal again. Is that right or he needs to go to a Dr?? Please help. Thanks God bless you.

An_251837 responded:
Hello.

I think the wise move would be for you husband to go or talk to his doctor. Damage could have been done while his blood sugar readings were high and that needs to be determined and treated if possible.

campolito replied to An_251837's response:
Thanks An_251837

briley1710 responded:
Your husband should go to his endocrinologist or his PCP to have his eyes checked. Blurry vision is unfortunately one of the side effects of high blood sugars. As a Type 2 diabetic for over 10 years, I too have problems with high sugar levels and occasional blurry vision. My doctors have checked my eyes, and I have the yearly diabetic test done at my eye doctors. So far, everything is fine, but that doesn't mean I am not afraid of losing my vision. Get it looked at ASAP

campolito replied to briley1710's response:
Thanks briley1710. needs to look for free clinic due we don't have or afford health insurance. But thanks for your advice.

ron1347 replied to campolito's response:
I am a 7 (almost year 'Type 2' diabetic. On occasion I to have the vision thing happen. I mean 'aside from macular degeneration and cataracts'. 'In addition' to my problems with those, and because of certain diabetic reasons, I also get blurry vision and/or see big spots before my eyes. Sometimes it last for a couple of minutes, other times for 'several' minutes, before it goes away. I think the longest episode lasted maybe 20 minutes. Talk to the doctor about it?.....YES!.....absolutely! Leave your doctor in the dark about NOTHING!! It may be frustrating, even a little scary, but a fact nevertheless. Leave nothing to chance!

rkb1161 responded:
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I was first diagnosed with Type 2 also. I wore glasses and all of a sudden I had better than 20/20 vision & needed no lenses at all. My B.S. was very high 600 and once we got it down I literally woke up one morning & couldn't see the floor! My eye dr. said it would take a few weeks to stabilize and gave me disposable contacts in varying strengths to get through. There was no permanent damage and now they are pretty much back to normal but it gets blurry occasionally when it gets high.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

fda guidelines on metformin, wifeofdiabetic
A 29-week double blind study included in FDA guidelines shows the difference in Ac1 hemoglobin percentage drop difference between those ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.